Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
griff4594
Reel Rookie

Re: Activation problem - “we can’t seem to reach you by email”

Jump to solution

Ok I solved my problem and it was weird. Things I tried before getting here:

Method #1: 

1. Factory reset the TV
  2. Fill out all the information
  3. Connect to my WiFi
  4. Enter Email

Result: Unable to send email

Method #2:

1. Factory reset the TV
  2. Fill out all information
  3. SKIP connect to WiFi
  4. Finish setup
  5. Go to Network Settings
  6. Connect and Activate 
  7. Enter Network password
  8. Enter email to activate

Result: Unable to send email

Both methods I tried several email accounts, including making new email accounts. All to no avail.

What fixed it for me was connecting onto my hotspot on my phone for my network. I know quite a bit about networks and it could be a firewall issue to their server from L3 networks or individual ISPs. So once I turned on my hotspot on my phone, I used Method #1 and it worked just fine. TCL and Roku need to get their act together. This is a wide spread issue and I would have returned my TV if I could have and bought a FireTV instead like I did with a few in my house. I own 12 TVs and more than half are Roku, but after this, when I need a new TV, it will not be a Roku.

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Activation problem - “we can’t seem to reach you by email”

Jump to solution

Hi @tvandehei45

We do apologize for the experience – this is not what we aim for.

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. They will follow up and further assist you through email.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Arendelle

Re: “We can’t seem to reach you by email”

Jump to solution

Where do I send the serial number and device ID I can’t do anything on mine right now 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hello @Arendelle

Thanks for the post.

Just reply in this thread with the serial number so we can further help you out. Please also tell us specifically the issue you're experiencing. 

With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Same issue. Factory reset three times and registered multiple times. Keep receiving the same message. 

SN: KW9986827377

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hey @MatthewRoyer

Thanks for the post.

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. They will follow up and further assist you through email.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
jwilly
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Got it working!  Somewhere I read that starting up in Store mode would solve the problem but I couldn't figure out how to get back to that point in the startup.  Hitting the reset button on the back of the TV didn't do it.  After pressing * every chance I got, I ran across a factory reset option that allowed the reset without reaching behind the TV.  By selecting in-store mode, the activation worked!   

0 Kudos
lez1978

Jump to solution

I need help please.  My TCL Roku TV is giving me this error.  I have tried a factory reset several times.  Can you help?

Serial number 1708GTC001724A09356

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @lez1978

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
dalb3
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Posting this here too for visibility.

Alright guys. I got it figured out (with no help from Roku).

I tried a different email address with a different domain (this time I used an alternate gmail account), and I got the email IMMEDIATELY. But this isn't my Roku email... But wait... Maybe...? YES

Here's what I did:

On the Roku site, login with your existing email address/account, goto My Account -> Account Information -> Update

Change your email on file to a different/new email domain (I was using outlook.com for my existing, and I changed it to gmail.com). When it asks you if you want to log out of all devices click NO. You will then get an email confirming it's been changed to the new email.

Once you received this email on your "new" email, goto your tv and input the "new" email address. You will immediately get the activation email. Once you have successfully added the roku to your account, and you verify everything is working, you can then go back to my account->account info->update and change your email BACK to your primary email (if you so desire).

Shoutout to Robin "Roger" Rajan with ONNTV support, who was more helpful than anyone I spoke to at Roku.

Roku, you need to get some sort of tier 3/engineering support to look at this issue. I'm sure there will be many returned products this holiday weekend because of this issue you guys couldn't care less about.