Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Watch dvd

Jump to solution
So. Bought hisense Roku tv. Bought Phillips dvd / blu ray player.

Everything seems to work... Roku finds WiFi, DVD player turns on, Remote appears to work..,

Except when I select my DVD player which is in hdmi 2

It looks like it will bring it up, but stalls at select your language. I cannot get past that...

I tried pairing the remote but I must be dumb. I cannot find any button at all inside remote battery compartment.

I don’t know what to do ack!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Watch dvd

Jump to solution

@Greengiraffe wrote:

Everything seems to work... Roku finds WiFi, DVD player turns on, Remote appears to work..,

It looks like it will bring it up, but stalls at select your language. I cannot get past that...

I tried pairing the remote but I must be dumb. I cannot find any button at all inside remote battery compartment.

You can't find a pairing button because the remote is most likely IR only, which doesn't require pairing. It only controls the TV.

That is the DVD asking for a selection, not the Roku. You have to use the DVD remote. The TV's remote will not control the DVD player. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@Greengiraffe wrote:

You can't find a pairing button because the remote is most likely IR only, which doesn't require pairing. It only controls the TV.

That is the DVD asking for a selection, not the Roku. You have to use the DVD remote. The TV's remote will not control the DVD player. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
Doh!! I feel dumb. Well I had tried using dvd remote and it didn’t do anything.

So now I tried again but made sure I was right next to the thing so no doubts About aim...

Bullseye! Thanks a ton for answering the dumb question!
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Convert your DVDs to MP4 format using Handbrake, WinX DVD Ripper, MakeMKV, or other DVD rippers. Stream the MP4 video to Roku directly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@Daraclark wrote:

Convert your DVDs to MP4 format using Handbrake, WinX DVD Ripper, MakeMKV, or other DVD rippers. Stream the MP4 video to Roku directly.

Handbrake is not a ripping tool. MakeMKV rips into the MKV container, which is supported by all Roku devices, so it's my ripper of choice. However, depending on the disc you are ripping (DVD, Blu Ray, UHD Blu Ray) you might end up with an audio track as the default that isn't supported by Roku. With MakeMKV you can pick and choose what audio and caption tracks to include, so if there's a DTS track (and you aren't using an AVR/soundbar that supports DTS) you can exclude it and use the alternate DD track. 

When ripping Blu Ray discs, you have to watch for the occasional disc that uses VC-1 video. Roku devices will not play that video codec, so in that case you'd need to use something like Handbrake to convert the video to H.264 (and newer Roku players support MPEG-2). 

Dan
0 Kudos