Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sujoykm123
Level 7

Want to use Roku in Germany

Jump to solution

Over the past one month I have been trying to buy a Roku player here in Germany. However, its not easy to find one at a reasonable cost; I also learnt from the forum that Roku player is not available in Germany. However, I have paid subscription charges for a channel that plays only on the Roku platform and I am stuck now. Please help

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Want to use Roku in Germany

Jump to solution

@sujoykm123 wrote:

Over the past one month I have been trying to buy a Roku player here in Germany. However, its not easy to find one at a reasonable cost; I also learnt from the forum that Roku player is not available in Germany. However, I have paid subscription charges for a channel that plays only on the Roku platform and I am stuck now. Please help

Since Roku is not officially supported in your country, it's questionable that the channel you want to use will even work there. Even if your Roku account is based in a supported country, the provider can tell where you are (roughly) by your IP address. If they don't permit the channel to be used in that country, it won't make any difference what you're paying for. Will the Roku player itself work in Germany? Certainly. But will individual channels work there? That becomes the issue, and there's nothing Roku can do to assist you. 

Some channel developers permit their channel to work anywhere, but the majority place geographical restrictions on where they can be used. Only the channel provider can change that. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Want to use Roku in Germany

Jump to solution

@sujoykm123 wrote:

Since Roku is not officially supported in your country, it's questionable that the channel you want to use will even work there. Even if your Roku account is based in a supported country, the provider can tell where you are (roughly) by your IP address. If they don't permit the channel to be used in that country, it won't make any difference what you're paying for. Will the Roku player itself work in Germany? Certainly. But will individual channels work there? That becomes the issue, and there's nothing Roku can do to assist you. 

Some channel developers permit their channel to work anywhere, but the majority place geographical restrictions on where they can be used. Only the channel provider can change that. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos