Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Roku on my iMac

Jump to solution

I currently have Roku on my TV.   I would also like too have it on my iMac.  What should I but to accomplish that

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Using Roku on my iMac

Jump to solution

If you mean to display the Roku output on your Mac, no it's not possible without adding some sort of video input to your Mac. Computers rarely have video inputs. This is usually done with a video capture card that has an HDMI input. Other than the fact that many Macs have an outstanding display, I can't think of any reason to do this. And chances are that Mac display has an HDMI input you could connect to the Roku. 

Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Jump to solution

If you mean to display the Roku output on your Mac, no it's not possible without adding some sort of video input to your Mac. Computers rarely have video inputs. This is usually done with a video capture card that has an HDMI input. Other than the fact that many Macs have an outstanding display, I can't think of any reason to do this. And chances are that Mac display has an HDMI input you could connect to the Roku. 

Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

You're correct I  do not have an HDMI input.   I have found several USB to HDMI converter on Amazon starting at $20.   If I purchased one of those can you tell me which Roku unit would be appropriate 

Thanks

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Jump to solution

I'm pretty sure the HDMI to USB adapter is to provide the computer with another video output, not function as an HDMI input. You need an actual video capture device, either an internal card or external box. I have one, but it doesn't have an HDMI input. And even then you can only view the input within the capture software application, not just display it on your Mac's display. Also, there's something called DHCP, which is a data protection feature. If you connect an HDMI device with DHCP enabled to a display (or the capture device) that doesn't have a matching HDCP connection, they will not handshake or allow the signal to pass. 

Dan
0 Kudos