Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
watjayalak
Level 7

Using Roku express in UK for a non-HDMI TV

Hi,
I have an old TV that I would like to use with Roku. I recently bought a Roku Express thinking I could connect it to the TV using a HDMI  to RCA converter. I haven't tired it yet as I'm waiting for the converter. However, having looked at various posts on the internet, I'm not sure this will work.
I tried reaching out to Roku via Facebook, but their response has been non-existent. Please could someone advise me if this set up will work in the UK - Roku express with HDMI to RCA converter.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Basil
Level 10

Re: Using Roku express in UK for a non-HDMI TV

"watjayalak" wrote:
Hi,
I have an old TV that I would like to use with Roku. I recently bought a Roku Express thinking I could connect it to the TV using a HDMI  to RCA converter. I haven't tired it yet as I'm waiting for the converter. However, having looked at various posts on the internet, I'm not sure this will work.
I tried reaching out to Roku via Facebook, but their response has been non-existent. Please could someone advise me if this set up will work in the UK - Roku express with HDMI to RCA converter.

Thanks

The Roku Express+ ($10 more than the Roku Express) already has the necessary hardware and cables for connecting to a TV via composite (red/white audio, yellow video). You'd probably have to import it, as it's not for sale in the UK. 

You're kinda doing it the hard way, but I understand that you're working with what they're giving you. But,
what you're doing should work. No, I've never done what you're trying, but it should work.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
renojim
Level 13

It the UK, I believe they use PAL, not NTSC. I doubt the Express+ can output PAL. A long time ago I tried a HDMI-to-composite converter and it had a switch for PAL/NTSC. It worked for what I needed (I believe it was a Fire Stick), but I don't think I ever tried it specifically with a Roku. I'd try it, but I can't seem to get my converter to do anything right now.

-JT
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Basil
Level 10

You are, of course, correct. 
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
watjayalak
Level 7

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies. I tried it with a HDMI to RCA converter, and it's working. Smiley Happy))
0 Kudos
Highlighted
suzannerom
Level 7

i live in Oregon and local walmart was sold out of roku express.  got it online and the express has the choice of hdmi cable or composite cables. i used the composite cables and the picture is fine, but the audio is none or just choppy and cutting out.  have asked roku support and disconnected and reconnected per their suggestion, but it still has no sound. this is an old tv and it apparently was set up just fine - except no audio.

0 Kudos