Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
watjayalak
Level 7

Using Roku express in UK for a non-HDMI TV

Hi,
I have an old TV that I would like to use with Roku. I recently bought a Roku Express thinking I could connect it to the TV using a HDMI  to RCA converter. I haven't tired it yet as I'm waiting for the converter. However, having looked at various posts on the internet, I'm not sure this will work.
I tried reaching out to Roku via Facebook, but their response has been non-existent. Please could someone advise me if this set up will work in the UK - Roku express with HDMI to RCA converter.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Using Roku express in UK for a non-HDMI TV

"watjayalak" wrote:
Hi,
I have an old TV that I would like to use with Roku. I recently bought a Roku Express thinking I could connect it to the TV using a HDMI  to RCA converter. I haven't tired it yet as I'm waiting for the converter. However, having looked at various posts on the internet, I'm not sure this will work.
I tried reaching out to Roku via Facebook, but their response has been non-existent. Please could someone advise me if this set up will work in the UK - Roku express with HDMI to RCA converter.

Thanks

The Roku Express+ ($10 more than the Roku Express) already has the necessary hardware and cables for connecting to a TV via composite (red/white audio, yellow video). You'd probably have to import it, as it's not for sale in the UK. 

You're kinda doing it the hard way, but I understand that you're working with what they're giving you. But,
what you're doing should work. No, I've never done what you're trying, but it should work.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 8

It the UK, I believe they use PAL, not NTSC. I doubt the Express+ can output PAL. A long time ago I tried a HDMI-to-composite converter and it had a switch for PAL/NTSC. It worked for what I needed (I believe it was a Fire Stick), but I don't think I ever tried it specifically with a Roku. I'd try it, but I can't seem to get my converter to do anything right now.

-JT
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

You are, of course, correct. 
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
watjayalak
Level 7

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies. I tried it with a HDMI to RCA converter, and it's working. Smiley Happy))
0 Kudos