Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mspear80
Reel Rookie

User experience using Roku TV vs Roku Stick

Jump to solution

Is there a difference in Roku user experience/ease of use, if I purchase a Roku stick to use w/ a non Roku TV, instead of purchasing a Roku TV?

FYI - I am considering purchasing a non Roku TV because they are rated better and have some enhanced features that Roku TVs do not. At the same time I want to use the Roku platform

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: User experience using Roku TV vs Roku Stick

Jump to solution

@Mspear80 

Always get the TV that suits your wants and needs. If it's a non-Roku TV, then go with that.

The Roku experience will be the same. And, as long as the Roku device comes with a Voice Remote (or Voice Remote Pro) the Roku remote will likely control the TV power and volume. It's not guaranteed that it's compatible, but most work just fine.

The difference between a Roku and a Roku TV (which Roku doesn't build, by the way; they license the software to the TV manufacturer) will be if you want to change inputs on the TV. That is, switch to antenna. Or DVD/Blu-ray player. Or gaming system. Or whatever. The Roku remote can't control that. But if you just want to turn on the TV and watch Roku, the experience will be the same.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Mspear80 

I have an Insignia RokuTV in the kitchen and then a few seperate Roku streaming players connected to standard TV setups.  I much prefer the seperate streaming players.  Allows you to easily upgrade the Roku device if it fails or simple want more features from a newer device.

I also do not like that recent RokuOS updates starting with 10.5 have caused various issues with the different manufacturers of RokuTVs that is affecting the OTA/antenna functions. (little annoyances and bugs that need/needed to be fixed with future OS builds).

Personally, I prefer the seperate streaming device connected to a standard or smart TV. (let the TV do  the TV thing, and let Roku do the streaming thing).  An additional benefit of this is that if you ever experience an issue with Roku, and you purchased a smartTV, you may still be able to watch your content if that same app is available to install on your smart TV.  And of course, with this setup, the Roku will have no affect on your ability to watch OTA/antenna television.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Mspear80 

Always get the TV that suits your wants and needs. If it's a non-Roku TV, then go with that.

The Roku experience will be the same. And, as long as the Roku device comes with a Voice Remote (or Voice Remote Pro) the Roku remote will likely control the TV power and volume. It's not guaranteed that it's compatible, but most work just fine.

The difference between a Roku and a Roku TV (which Roku doesn't build, by the way; they license the software to the TV manufacturer) will be if you want to change inputs on the TV. That is, switch to antenna. Or DVD/Blu-ray player. Or gaming system. Or whatever. The Roku remote can't control that. But if you just want to turn on the TV and watch Roku, the experience will be the same.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Mspear80 

I have an Insignia RokuTV in the kitchen and then a few seperate Roku streaming players connected to standard TV setups.  I much prefer the seperate streaming players.  Allows you to easily upgrade the Roku device if it fails or simple want more features from a newer device.

I also do not like that recent RokuOS updates starting with 10.5 have caused various issues with the different manufacturers of RokuTVs that is affecting the OTA/antenna functions. (little annoyances and bugs that need/needed to be fixed with future OS builds).

Personally, I prefer the seperate streaming device connected to a standard or smart TV. (let the TV do  the TV thing, and let Roku do the streaming thing).  An additional benefit of this is that if you ever experience an issue with Roku, and you purchased a smartTV, you may still be able to watch your content if that same app is available to install on your smart TV.  And of course, with this setup, the Roku will have no affect on your ability to watch OTA/antenna television.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102