Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Usb files on phone

Jump to solution

I just bought a Roku Ultra mainly to play music from an usb stick to my old amp. It works very well BUT I have to have the TV on to be able to browse the files from the usb.

I would like to be able to browse the files from the usb stick and play them from my phone without the TV. The Roku app does everything except seeing those files.

How do I do that?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Usb files on phone

Jump to solution

@Ruset 

Thanks for the clarification.

Please be aware that the only content that you will be able to watch on your phone using the Roku mobile app is content viewable through The Roku Channel. All other content and channels will only be viewable on the TV using your Roku device or Roku TV.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Ruset 

Thanks for the note.

We would recommend checking out the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: Why does my Roku® streaming device not recognize my external USB drive?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R 

The usb stick works fine, I can see the files on the TV fine, but I would like to see these files in the app on my phone so I will not need the tv ON to browse these files. When I click Roku Media Player on the phone it goes to the Remote and there is no place to see these files.

I use an extractor from the hdmi to my optical input on my old amp and that works fine, too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Ruset 

Thanks for the clarification.

Please be aware that the only content that you will be able to watch on your phone using the Roku mobile app is content viewable through The Roku Channel. All other content and channels will only be viewable on the TV using your Roku device or Roku TV.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos