Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbamar

Upgrade and install from Roku 4 to Ultra 4K

Jump to solution

I have a ROKU 4, attached through wires that run through the wall to the back of the TV. If I buy the Ultra can I simply unplug the 4 ...   and then plug in the Ultra.? Will the replacement be that simple?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Upgrade and install from Roku 4 to Ultra 4K

Jump to solution

If those "wires" have an HDMI connector at the Roku end, then yes.

However, if you replace the (older?) TV with a 4K/HDR 2.x HDCP 2.x capable one, then you may have to replace the "wires".

If you use the Optical output port of the Roku 4, that wont be used with the Ultra (no Optical port, unless its the 4640 from 2016) and if you are relying on that to route audio to an older AVR/soundbar (without HDMI), you'll need an HDMI>Optical audio extractor too (or use your TV to route HDMI>Optical, assuming it supports that).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

If those "wires" have an HDMI connector at the Roku end, then yes.

However, if you replace the (older?) TV with a 4K/HDR 2.x HDCP 2.x capable one, then you may have to replace the "wires".

If you use the Optical output port of the Roku 4, that wont be used with the Ultra (no Optical port, unless its the 4640 from 2016) and if you are relying on that to route audio to an older AVR/soundbar (without HDMI), you'll need an HDMI>Optical audio extractor too (or use your TV to route HDMI>Optical, assuming it supports that).

rbamar

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply ... I am not replacing the TV.

The back of the Roku 4 box has three wires attached, the optical port has no connector attached, just a red glow from within.  Also no soundbar in use. (Wired to surround-sound.)  Sounds uncomplicated... correct?

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Assuming the 3 wires are Power+HDMI+Ethernet, then you will have to swap the Roku 4's power adapter for the one that comes with the Ultra.

Other than that, should be uncomplicated.