Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KLINK
Level 7

Upgrade Question

I currently have a roku 3. I am thinking of upgrading to the roku ultra. Can I transfer all my channels and settings to the new box or do I have to start from scratch?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
twiceover
Level 10

Re: Upgrade Question

When you log into the ultra with your Roku account, your channels will transfer.  But you'll have to log into everything.
0 Kudos
jontalk
Level 7

"KLINK" wrote:
I currently have a roku 3. I am thinking of upgrading to the roku ultra. Can I transfer all my channels and settings to the new box or do I have to start from scratch?

i presume you're wanting to take advantage of the half price deal correct? I've been contemplating this as well since I also have a Roku 3 which has performed nicely. Am curious if you have a 4K TV as well as a home theater system that supports the latest Video formats and audio. I posted a thread on the AVR forum and most say there's little advantage in upgrading unless the home theater equipment is up on par with my LG OLED TV Smiley Happy
Roku 3 - Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
LG OLED55B7A, Roku 3, Marantz SR-6005, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Jon, I wouldn't say there's no point in upgrading. But for full 4K support the Roku has to be connected either to an AVR with HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 ports, or else connect it directly to the TV. Running through a HDMI 1.4 receiver will limit you to 4K/30 and no HDR, and maybe even 1080. In my opinion, it's the HDR that really makes 4K shine. Otherwise, you need at least a 75" screen to see much with 4K over 1080. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos