Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaddyFatty2020
Level 7

Unable to update software

Jump to solution

Please help, I am NOT tech savvy. I have a newer television but it isn’t a smart tv. Purchased a Roku Express and trying to use, I continue to receive the “unable to update” message. It provides a website but how do I go to this website on my tv if I can’t go on the internet because it’s not a smart tv? I simply want to use the spectrum cable app, and that’s why I purchased this. My fire stick works just fine. Any advice?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Unable to update software

Jump to solution

@DaddyFatty2020 

Thanks for the note.

If you are unable to update the Roku device, we would recommend taking a look at the troubleshoot steps provided by our Support page here: What should I do if my Roku® device is unable to update software?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
makaiguy
Level 21

Jump to solution

If it tells you to go to a website, it means use the browser on a computer, tablet, or phone that has an internet connection.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@DaddyFatty2020 

Thanks for the note.

If you are unable to update the Roku device, we would recommend taking a look at the troubleshoot steps provided by our Support page here: What should I do if my Roku® device is unable to update software?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
jelabarre59
Level 8

Jump to solution

Not a solution.  If I have a functional internet connection (and even the Roku itself will confirm that, with both wired and wireless) and it still can't run the update, there needs to be further troubleshooting than a dismissive "well this should work" answer.  I AM tech-savy, and already worked past the standard network troubleshooting, and need to move on to the "here's how you do an override upgrade update, using a file from the following ftp site" method.

frustrated_me
Level 7

Jump to solution

I bought this Roku device yesterday in order to watch Disney plus on my tv and have the same problem with trying to update software,- it just won't work. Obviously this Roku company isn't very good, so I will be going back to Best Buy and returning this device.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@frustrated_me 

Thanks for the post.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can finish updating your Roku device and set it up. Then once your device has been setup, try switching back to your home wireless network. 

Keep us posted with what you find out. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Kdubs6991
Level 7

Jump to solution

My roku will not update, error 006. I tried every troubleshoot way on the website but nothing. I have a roku express device and I tried to factory reset but it still won't update so it doesn't work now

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

What is the model number of the Express? It's on the box. It might be on the device somewhere, but I'm not certain, having never owned one.

How did you do the Factory Reset? Describe all the steps you took to do a factory reset, including any timings of events, if applicable.

Oh, and what country are you in? A lot of people outside supported regions have experienced issues, so it may be helpful to know if you are in a supported region, as that might affect the solution.

DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
edjrichardson
Level 7

Jump to solution

Bought a new + stick and would not update.  Bought many sticks before, and no problem setting them up. Went to ROKU CHAT, and was told could not set up on hotel network. Took wife's phone and set up hotspot, and setup worked.

So set up at home or on hotspot, never hotel network.