Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaddyFatty2020
Reel Rookie

Unable to update software

Jump to solution

Please help, I am NOT tech savvy. I have a newer television but it isn’t a smart tv. Purchased a Roku Express and trying to use, I continue to receive the “unable to update” message. It provides a website but how do I go to this website on my tv if I can’t go on the internet because it’s not a smart tv? I simply want to use the spectrum cable app, and that’s why I purchased this. My fire stick works just fine. Any advice?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Unable to update software

Jump to solution

@DaddyFatty2020 

Thanks for the note.

If you are unable to update the Roku device, we would recommend taking a look at the troubleshoot steps provided by our Support page here: What should I do if my Roku® device is unable to update software?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

If it tells you to go to a website, it means use the browser on a computer, tablet, or phone that has an internet connection.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@DaddyFatty2020 

Thanks for the note.

If you are unable to update the Roku device, we would recommend taking a look at the troubleshoot steps provided by our Support page here: What should I do if my Roku® device is unable to update software?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jelabarre59
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Not a solution.  If I have a functional internet connection (and even the Roku itself will confirm that, with both wired and wireless) and it still can't run the update, there needs to be further troubleshooting than a dismissive "well this should work" answer.  I AM tech-savy, and already worked past the standard network troubleshooting, and need to move on to the "here's how you do an override upgrade update, using a file from the following ftp site" method.

frustrated_me
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I bought this Roku device yesterday in order to watch Disney plus on my tv and have the same problem with trying to update software,- it just won't work. Obviously this Roku company isn't very good, so I will be going back to Best Buy and returning this device.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@frustrated_me 

Thanks for the post.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can finish updating your Roku device and set it up. Then once your device has been setup, try switching back to your home wireless network. 

Keep us posted with what you find out. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Kdubs6991

Jump to solution

My roku will not update, error 006. I tried every troubleshoot way on the website but nothing. I have a roku express device and I tried to factory reset but it still won't update so it doesn't work now

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

What is the model number of the Express? It's on the box. It might be on the device somewhere, but I'm not certain, having never owned one.

How did you do the Factory Reset? Describe all the steps you took to do a factory reset, including any timings of events, if applicable.

Oh, and what country are you in? A lot of people outside supported regions have experienced issues, so it may be helpful to know if you are in a supported region, as that might affect the solution.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Bought a new + stick and would not update.  Bought many sticks before, and no problem setting them up. Went to ROKU CHAT, and was told could not set up on hotel network. Took wife's phone and set up hotspot, and setup worked.

So set up at home or on hotspot, never hotel network.

jdvanvalin

Jump to solution

I had a similar problem. My Roku Express 3910 was on version 9.3 and wouldn't update to 10.0. Pretty soon DisneyPlus stopped working, and I presumed other channels would follow suit. When I did the manual Check for update via the System menu it listed 10.0, and the update appeared to succeed. It said "Restarting", and then seemed trying to restart, but then the screen went blank and I got the "No signal" message. If I unplugged the Roku and plugged it back in, it once again listed version 9.3.

I tried this multiple times and the same thing happened. (I didn't restart our router, but the Roku said its last update was 9 months ago and the router had been restarted many times since then ... it apparently checks for updates every day, so I figured they were failing every day.) I moved the Roku to another, older TV and it had the same issue.

Here's how I fixed it:

1. Selected System > Advanced Settings > Factory Reset. (Note - this removes all your channels, so you'll have to add them back again).

2. Re-found my wireless.

3. Roku immediately popped up an "Updating software" dialog and did the update.

4. Once again when it restarted it wouldn't come back (No Signal).

5. When I unplugged it and plugged it back in, it once again gave the Software upgrade dialog and updated the software.

6. This time, for whatever reason, the restart worked. (Huzzah!)

7. I entered my account name (email) and re-activated the Roku by clicking on the email it sent. Viola, it was on version 10.

8. I added back all our channels. DisneyPlus is now happy!

0 Kudos