Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Unable to update at set up

I have a Roku express. I am trying to set it up, but I am unable to download the first update. I have seen the green check marks saying I am connected to the internet. I have also tried connecting it to my phone's hot spot and I get the same error. 

the error says " The software update failed because the verification failed".

I bought two of them at the same time and both of them are doing this.

Thank you 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Unable to update at set up

@SaraHall15 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Have you tried performing a factory reset on your device and seeing if you can set it up? For more information on how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Could you share a picture of the error message you see on screen? 

If that still isn't clearing things up, please PM me with your Roku account email address, and the serial number of your device found in Settings>System>About. I'll follow up directly to continue assisting you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Were you able to fix the issue? For mines is saying the same thing, I noticed roku employee asked for email and going to about device, but I haven't even gotten to the homescreen of this yet.

That is pointless. I also factory reset. I just bought it yestarday. IT IS connected to WIFI but doesn't want to update code 005

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Please if you figure out how to bypass that message to install the roku express please let me know, I purchased the roku stick two days ago and had a fire stick previously(so I know it’s not internet connection) and had no issues. I can’t hook up this device to download the spectrumapp and with the corona quarintine, what else is there to do but watch television? Please help!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@emorale 

Thanks for the note.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

Have tried to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can update your device and once the update is complete, switching back to your wireless network?

For more troubleshooting steps regarding that error code, visit our Support page here: What to do if your Roku® streaming device is unable to update software

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos