Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Unable to activate new Roku Ultra

I just purchased a new Roku Ultra and am having trouble activating it.  I contacted support via chat, but I'm not confident that the support person knows how to support the device.. 

So on the device I get to the screen with roku.com/link and the activation code.  I follow the steps on my computer browser which ends with a response of "Setup complete! Check out below how to get the most out of your Roku!".  The Roku device then goes through channel updates and when it finishes the device appears to reboot, and then comes back up to the screen with roku.com/link and a new activation code.  I've tried multiple times (more than 5) and the same happens each time.  The chat support person had me factory reset the device, but the same continues to happen.  On one attempt it got stuck at the jumping/spinning Roku logo and on the most recent attempt the device appears to have shut down completely - the TV just says "no signal".  The chat support person have ordered me a replacement device..

Has anyone had a problem like this and know how to resolve it?  If not, I'll wait for the replacement...

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Unable to activate new Roku Ultra

Sounds like a bad roku, looks like you'll have to wait for a replacement.

Edmund
Highlighted
Level 16

I'd be curious what the precise Model number of the bad one is.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
Highlighted
Level 8

The label on the bottom of the unit says model # 4670X

Highlighted
Level 8

But on the outside of the box it says 4670R  Smiley Surprised

0 Kudos
Level 18

The x is the roku itself, the r is retail box, ultra, remote, and the rest of accessories.

Edmund
Highlighted
Level 7

I also just purchased a new 2019 Ultra. Mine activated OK but every time I switch over to it on my Yamaha RX-A3070 it will not show until I unplug the power cord and plug it back in. Then it operates OK. What's up with that???

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@jrkbrg  Thanks for the note.

We are rolling out an update for OS 9.2 (build 4806) that should help resolve that issue. Visit Settings>System>System update>Check now and perform a system update.  

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

@RokuTannerDI cannot get here:  Settings>System>System update>Check now

When I power on the Roku, it comes up to the activation screen (roku.com/link with the activation code).  After following the activation steps, one of two things happens -

It reboots and comes back to the same activation screen

OR

It gets stuck on the screen with the jumping/spinning Roku logo.

In any case, there is no option to go into settings.

And if this is a software issue on the device, then I presume the new one they sent and is arriving tomorrow will have the same issue?  Smiley Mad

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Just an update that I was able to successfully activate the replacement device.  Have returned the defective device.

0 Kudos