Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uk_in_tfe
Level 7

Unable to Login - unable to Activate - no help from Support

I have a Roku 3 which I bought a couple of years ago.  I activated it where I was living, and setup an account.  I didn't use it much, as my internet connection wasn't really fast enough.  I have now moved to a different country, and want to use it again.

When I connect it up, it gives me an activation code to use on my computer.  Problems . . . .

1. I can't use the activation code because . . . .

1. I can't login to my account.  I have tried resetting my password (lost count of how many times!), in three different browsers, and on my android phone.  All to no avail - when I try to login I get an error message saying the email/password combination is not recognised. SO, . .

1. I tried to set up a new account.  Again I have tried this, as above, on different browsers etc.  Every time I get an error saying "Oops, something went wrong. Try again."

1. I concacted Roku support, and all I got back was an automated message telling me how to change my password - Useless . . . .

I really don't know what to do next!  I've sent another message to their support, and, if I don't get a "real" response, OR if nobody here can help me, then, to be honest, I think its going in the garbage bin.

Sorry to sound so annoyed, but I am!

0 Kudos
23 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Unable to Login - unable to Activate - no help from Support

Can't say for sure, but changing your location may be the issue. Many Roku players will only function in their country of origin. Although I'll qualify that with that the player itself should work but you might have issues with channels that are geo-coded for particular regions. My guess is you will need to do a hard reset and create a new user account that is based in the country you are currently located in. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

We need to start with the first issue: your password on your existing account.

So, are you using a VPN? If so, stop.

It might be helpful if you told us what country you’re in. Some unsupported countries act really unsupported.

Next, open your default browser. Clear cookies and Local Storage for all sites containing “roku” in the domain.

Go to https://my.roku.com/ and request a password reset.

When the email arrives, click the link. Write down the password you want to use. Now, slowly and carefully type it in, one character at a time. Then repeat the process for the Verify Password box. Don’t press Enter, but click the Submiy button.

What response did you get?

Now, if anywhere along the way, you get an unexpected result, stop. Report your steps up to the point, and describe 5he unexpected result.

Let us know how it goes.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
uk_in_tfe
Level 7

Thanks for your response.

I'm in Spain now.  I bought the Roku when I was working in the Philippines, although when using it I had to say I was in Guam, as it was the nearest country/territory listed in the setup.  Its a US 110v version.

I have done as you suggested - I used Edge (usually use Firefox), so I cleared out all cookies.  Requested a password reset, pasted the link from the email into the browser and carefully reset my password.  Got a message saying the change was successful. 

Then I went to the login screen, and used my email address and the new password.  Same result:  "The email address or password provided does not match our records. Tip: You can verify your Roku account email address from your device by visiting Settings."  Exactly what happened before.

Anything else I can try?
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

I’m gonna suggest something.

If you’re able to reach Support, request a ticket number, if you don’t already have one.

He’s west coast US, but RokuShawnS should be online soon and may have some suggestions. Respond to him in this thread unless he says to PM directly.

Just as a thought, does Edge have the ability to save a password? If so, does it offer the ability to view those? Or remove any?

It sounds as if either your password is being overwritten by the browser (the reason for all that rigmarole earlier), or there’s something about your account. The inability to create a new account points to neither, which was behind the VPN question, in case that was causing an issue.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
uk_in_tfe
Level 7

I have a ticket number, for my second request (they marked the first one resolved when it wasn't!).

I don't use a VPN.  I cleared out all cookies again, and I've tried to create a new account using a different email address.  Still I get the error "Oops! Something went wrong, please try again".  That message is unhelpful to say the least . . . .

I'll wait for RokuShawnS, and see if he can be of any help in this.  Thanks for trying though.

UPDATE
I just downloaded another browser (Opera this time), and have tried everything again.  Create a new account, and password reset on the old account - exactly the same results. Nothing works.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

What is the ticket number?
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
uk_in_tfe
Level 7

0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

You stated you're not using a VPN.  Are you using any kind of DNS service?
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
uk_in_tfe
Level 7

Not as far as I know - its a perfectly ordinary internet connection.

IPv4 address:   
IPv4 DNS servers:   
Manufacturer:    Realtek
Description:    Realtek USB GbE Family Controller
Driver version:    10.5.919.2015
Physical address (MAC):    9C-EB-E8-32-A6-F8
0 Kudos