Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Unable to Connect to Roku Service When Linking Device

I've been trying for the past hour or so to get my Roku set up. Every time I go to link my device with my account on my web browser, I encounter the same issue. I receive a code, enter it, name my device, then select the streaming services I have. As soon as I move onto the next page to select my interests for other apps, I get a popup on my TV that reads "Unable to connect to Roku Service. Please try connecting again in a minute. For more help visit: go.roku.com/softwareupdate Error 001" and my options are to "Try connecting again" or "Check network settings." Neither of these options work, as they just loop me back to a new code and the entire process repeats. As for the error code and the suggested support link, I've done research on both and none of the suggestions I've seen from Roku or Roku Community are of any help. I've done a bunch of hard resets and factory resets, connected and disconnected from my WiFi network, and even tried linking the device in a different browser and on my phone. No matter what, the same issue always occurs when I reach the interests page. 

Any help would be appreciated! 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Unable to Connect to Roku Service When Linking Device

If you can set up your phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot, use that for the Roku Internet connection just to get through the setup.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Unable to Connect to Roku Service When Linking Device

@abruno97 

Thanks for the post.

Try taking a look here for more tips about troubleshooting that network error code: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

As @renojim mentioned, I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can activate and setup your device.

Keep us posted with what you find out. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos