Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tavstvissues
Level 7

Ultra with older tv

I was using a Roku3 with my older tv connected through an hdmi to rca converter. It stopped working out of the blue one day, so I just bought an Ultra. It doesn't seem to work with the converter. Will the Ultra work at all this way? In other words, will a new converter or different kind of converter work? If so, which kind?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Ultra with older tv

Get a new TV. What you have is like trying how to figure out how hook an answering machine up to an iPhone. You're asking how to get a 4K streamer to work with a TV that only has RCA jacks? I'm not being rude, but you need to bring your TV at least a little up to par with the stuff you're plugging into it.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Tavstvissues
Level 7

Well, I saw that one coming, lol. I was trying to connect to a particular older tv in my house, a bedroom tv I haven't upgraded yet. I thought the ultra streamed regular hd also, which is why I thought my old set up might still work for now.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

The last Roku that supported analog connections was the Express+. But that was last year's model, so finding one might prove difficult. Can't say why your HDMI/Analog converter won't work, but my guess is that it's also too old to support the 4K player. I just doesn't know how to handle 4K, and for whatever reason the Roku doesn't recognize that the adapter can't handle it and switch to a lower resolution. 
I think it's more cost effective to replace your TV, rather than continuing to fiddle with converters. Depending on the TV size, it might not cost that much more than a quality HDMI converter, and then you'll have something that is capable of accepting anything with an HDMI connection. I bought a 43" 4K Roku TV for about $300 a year ago, and smaller sets are far less than that. Since you already have the Ultra, you don't need a Smart TV, reducing the cost more. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Tavstvissues
Level 7

Thanks for the explanation. Sometimes I like knowing why something doesn't work, and you're right, the converter is a little old. So, a new tv it is. Thanks again.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"Tavstvissues" wrote:
Thanks for the explanation. Sometimes I like knowing why something doesn't work, and you're right, the converter is a little old. So, a new tv it is. Thanks again.

Or, get an Express+ from Walmart. It’s $35. Not the Express, the Express+
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
makaiguy
Level 11

"Tavstvissues" wrote:

The fact that a new Roku through the same converter doesn't work either makes me suspect the converter itself died, not the Roku.
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos
Sanjestar123
Level 7

i am having the same issue.... my new roku players will not work with old tv's.... i bought the converters, but the old tv's are just so big, hard to move them out... glad i am not the only one with this issue!! Roku support?? well, there is noneSmiley Happy

0 Kudos
Sanjestar123
Level 7

i tried several converters, that is not the issue...

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Roku doesn't provide support for non-standard configurations, such as using converters. I really can't blame them. Far too many variables to account for, and that's not what a Roku is designed to use. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos