Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcseffect
Level 7

USB device error, “no compatible media found”

A couple days ago, the USB drive in the Roku stopped working. Every folder is still there but now says No compatible media found. I removed the channel and reinstalled. That did not work. I also tested the USB drive on the other older Roku 3 in the house. It launched and worked fine there. Both players are on Media player build 4.1.1646. Any help here?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: USB device error, “no compatible media found”

What model Roku is having the problem?
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
mcseffect
Level 7

It's the Roku Ultra.  It was working fine until a couple days ago.  The Flash Drive still work in the USB port on the TV or when we plug it in to the older Roku 3.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Did you try powering off the Ultra and plugging it back in, and then re-inserting the USB drive?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
mcseffect
Level 7

I did try a power cycle and a restart.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

Is the media type set to All?
Do you have a micro-sd card in the device?
Have you tried another USB drive?
0 Kudos
mcseffect
Level 7

I do need to try another USB.  The error read " No Compatible Media found". If I switched to search for videos " No Compatible Videos found". I do have a 32 gb Micro SD card in the device.  I also tried uninstalling the App and reloading.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

Ah yes, no compatible "Media" means you have it set to ALL. Thanks for pointing that out.
I am trying to rule out a change in RMP where it caches the meta data content on the micro-sd card between usage. Since it only maintains one USB cache, switching to a different USB drive should cause the cache to be flushed and a new one created.
There is an RMP beta group where members are able to test newer unreleased versions of RMP.
Send a pm to me if interested in joining.
rokudale
0 Kudos
mcseffect
Level 7

Swapping out the different USB drives did work.  Would this have just been because the cache was that full?
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

The cache would not have been full.  Maybe there was some corruption. There is another method to maybe fix this. If you press * while focused on the usb icon, a dialog comes up. SCAN is one of the new options. It will scan for all audio files. Videos are presently ignored in the full scan, however they are supposed to be added as you navigate.
We can proceed in the beta test forum to figure out why this happened and diagnose it there.
roludale
0 Kudos