Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

USB 1.1

I'm looking at breathing new life into my in-laws old plasma tv but the usb it has is usb 1.1.

From a bit of googling i can see that usb 1.1 and 2 provide only 0.5amps but to power a Roku requires 0.6amps. I guess my question is will it work?.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: USB 1.1

You are correct that the USB standard is only 0.5a. However, some devices provide more current, and some less. While it's convenient to power the Roku from the TV's USB port, it will be more reliable if you use the supplied power supply. There have been reports of devices overheating when powered via the TV port, as it's possible from low current. Sounds the opposite what you'd expect, I know. 

Just remember that when the Roku is powered straight from the wall it will always be "on". Always hit the Home button on the remote to stop streaming before turning the TV off, or the Roku will continue to stream with no one watching. If you have data caps on your Internet, that could cause problems. Roku added a new feature in 9.2 that will stop playback after 4 hours of no remote use, but that's still four hours. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks for that.
I did consider the mains power option, but i can only see the ultra with that option and with a psu is $200 au. I would probably buy a new tv for them if thats my best option.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@bernard1uk wrote:
Thanks for that.
I did consider the mains power option, but i can only see the ultra with that option and with a psu is $200 au. I would probably buy a new tv for them if thats my best option.

Ouch. Your Roku didn't come with a wall plug for powering it? They must do something very different in other countries. Here in the US every model Roku comes with something that plugs into the wall for power. Unless they've recently changed something. But I've purchased two Roku players within the last year and both still came with wall power. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos