Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BJohnson1201
Reel Rookie

Turning off the roku express?

Jump to solution

Does the roku express turn its self off automatically if your not using it or is there a way to turn it off when not in use but keep the TV on to watch TV without the roku? 

0 Kudos
4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Turning off the roku express?

Jump to solution

No and no, not directly (you can use a power strip, with and without a remote or timer).

Plugging it into your TV/AVR/etc USB ports is not advised unless your device's USB ports can provide at least ~1 Amp (rare), though it would control on/off with the TV (usually).

View solution in original post

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@BJohnson1201 

When you are finished streaming, pressing the Home button on your remote will return you to your Roku Home Screen.  After a period of time, the Roku device will enter a Sleep Mode.  If you do not return to Home when finished, the Roku device will continue to stream.  There is a bandwidth saver you can enable in Roku Settings to limit to 4hrs (Settings..Network..Bandwidth Saver...ON).  Only way to turn the Express to Off, rather than Sleep, is to interrupt power. (unplug or use power strip/timer as mentioned by @StreamerUser).

You can watch your TV without your Roku by selecting another HDMI port input on your television (dvd player, gaming system, cable box, etc) or your Antenna input with your television remote (non-Roku remote).  

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@BJohnson1201 

Roku devices are designed to always be running; that is, always powered on. They receive software updates during downtime, usually overnight.

Keeping the TV on to watch something other than Roku should not be an issue. Roku uses an HDMI input. If you want to watch something else, the Roku being powered on or unplugging it wouldn't make any difference. I'm not sure what could be happening to cause this question. What issues are you having watching something other than Roku?

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

BJohnson1201
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@DBDukes wrote:

@BJohnson1201 

Roku devices are designed to always be running; that is, always powered on. They receive software updates during downtime, usually overnight.

Keeping the TV on to watch something other than Roku should not be an issue. Roku uses an HDMI input. If you want to watch something else, the Roku being powered on or unplugging it wouldn't make any difference. I'm not sure what could be happening to cause this question. What issues are you having watching something other than Roku?

Nothing happened I just figured the length of the life of the roku would be longer if it wasn't on all the time so I was simply wondering if it had an auto shut down or if there was a way to turn it off while not in use. But I think you answered my question above so thank you. 

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

No and no, not directly (you can use a power strip, with and without a remote or timer).

Plugging it into your TV/AVR/etc USB ports is not advised unless your device's USB ports can provide at least ~1 Amp (rare), though it would control on/off with the TV (usually).

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@BJohnson1201 

When you are finished streaming, pressing the Home button on your remote will return you to your Roku Home Screen.  After a period of time, the Roku device will enter a Sleep Mode.  If you do not return to Home when finished, the Roku device will continue to stream.  There is a bandwidth saver you can enable in Roku Settings to limit to 4hrs (Settings..Network..Bandwidth Saver...ON).  Only way to turn the Express to Off, rather than Sleep, is to interrupt power. (unplug or use power strip/timer as mentioned by @StreamerUser).

You can watch your TV without your Roku by selecting another HDMI port input on your television (dvd player, gaming system, cable box, etc) or your Antenna input with your television remote (non-Roku remote).  

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@BJohnson1201 

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

BJohnson1201
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@DBDukes wrote:

@BJohnson1201 

Nothing happened I just figured the length of the life of the roku would be longer if it wasn't on all the time so I was simply wondering if it had an auto shut down or if there was a way to turn it off while not in use. But I think you answered my question above so thank you. 

0 Kudos
CJC
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My Roku Express won't go away once I'm done using it. I go through the motions of selecting the cable HDMI for my cable provider. It will take me to the last channel I watched. As soon as I try to change the channel, Roku pops up. If I touch the guide button on the cable remote, I get a trip back to Roku. I have to unplug Roku from HDMI port 3 to watch regular tv. I never have this problem when using it on the old analog tv.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@CJC 

Try disabling Roku's 1-Touch Play feature. (CEC function)

Settings..System..Control Other Devices.. 1-Touch Play (Disable/Uncheck)

(https://support.roku.com/article/115008012587)

CJC
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

THANK YOU, AvsGunnar!!! I would have never found it on my own and it certainly isn't in the start up guide. Now to go find out how to turn off that mumbling voice! 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

If you mean an audio description of things the Roku is doing, try pressing * four times quickly.

https://support.roku.com/article/231584647 

0 Kudos
CJC
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That didn't work for me. I had to go into settings, accessibility, then disable screen reader. Now it's quiet.

0 Kudos