Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Trying to hookup Roku Express to an older Sony TV

Trying to hookup Roku Express to an older Sony TV that works fine. It has one HDMI port but no INPUT selector button on the remote. It does have a digital/analog selector button. The only message I get is "no digital signals found, switch to analog". Can anyone help with this problem? Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Trying to hookup Roku Express to an older Sony TV

What's the model number of the TV?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 14

The Digital/Analog button may be for the antenna connection. As mentioned, can you post the model number and maybe someone can find a manual online with some information.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

A lot of the early TVs with HDMI ports have limited resolution support. Some may support 720p, which the Express also supports, but there are some that only support 540p or 1080i via the HDMI port. Your Express doesn't support either of those resolutions. 

If that's the case, your only options are to use an HDMI to component (if the TV has those inputs) or composite (SD only) converter, or just replace the TV. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos