Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bvd1022
Level 8

Trying to activate new TCL TV

Hi,

I just bought a new TCL Roku TV and I'm having trouble activating it. How long will this outage last?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
twiceover
Level 10

Re: Trying to activate new TCL TV

Looks like it is back up. This only seems to happen when there are lots of new device adds because of a deal. Why Roku can't prepare for that, nobody knows.
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 8

"twiceover" wrote:
Looks like it is back up. This only seems to happen when there are lots of new device adds because of a deal. Why Roku can't prepare for that, nobody knows.

I was able to get it activated around 3:30 this morning. Once it took the code it was as smooth as setting up my other Roku devices. Well worth my going to the store on Thanksgiving and sitting in line for it.

Kind of feel bad for Walmart. They only had sixteen units of the TCL TV I bought, but I can tell why TCL is growing fast. Am very impressed with the quality of the television and will probably be buying more from them over time. I'm surprised Vizio and Sony haven't made a deal with Roku yet to add their platform into their TV's.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

"bvd1022" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:
Looks like it is back up.  This only seems to happen when there are lots of new device adds because of a deal.  Why Roku can't prepare for that, nobody knows.

I was able to get it activated around 3:30 this morning. Once it took the code it was as smooth as setting up my other Roku devices. Well worth my going to the store on Thanksgiving and sitting in line for it.

Kind of feel bad for Walmart. They only had sixteen units of the TCL TV I bought, but I can tell why TCL is growing fast. Am very impressed with the quality of the television and will probably be buying more from them over time. I'm surprised Vizio and Sony haven't made a deal with Roku yet to add their platform into their TV's.

I was surprised I went to Walmart today at 5pm and there were still several TCL 65" TVs at $400, some hisense Roku 55" at $250 and an entire rack of Roku Ultra units at $50.
I wanted that 65 so bad.  Couldn't justify it though.
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 8

"twiceover" wrote:
"bvd1022" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:
Looks like it is back up.  This only seems to happen when there are lots of new device adds because of a deal.  Why Roku can't prepare for that, nobody knows.

I was surprised I went to Walmart today at 5pm and there were still several TCL 65" TVs at $400, some hisense Roku 55" at $250 and an entire rack of Roku Ultra units at $50.
I wanted that 65 so bad.  Couldn't justify it though.

I could, I got the 65". It was relatively smooth. I'm disabled so I tend to do a lot of online shopping for electronics, etc. I have never gone shopping on a holiday before, but I was amazed by how orderly and organized it was. I had to sit in line for over an hour, but they were handing out tickets so once I got the ticket given to me, I got a sound bar from ONN for under $30 and I was out of the store before it got too crowded.

The only reason I got the sound bar was because I did a lot of research beforehand and I learned that the speakers inside the TV's now are smaller because the casing is thinner so it's recommend to get a sound bar. I've been very impressed with the set up and the quality of what TCL offers. I was surprised the store had a limited amount of TV's from TCL. They were turning people away before the hour was up that wanted to get in line so I think I got lucky all things considered. You probably won't find a better deal for the price, in my opinion. I'm already thinking about upgrading another TV in my home with another TCL once I can afford it, but I'm impressed so far. Much better than some of the"Brand Name" models that are close to a thousand dollars in price.
0 Kudos