Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iMtroptroN
Level 7

Trouble setting up Express to replace old Roku box

I bought an Express to replace the box I've had for several years.

I plugged the HDMI cable into the same connector on the TV as the old box.

I connected the power to the wall outlet, not an HDMI connector.

I'm getting a connection between the remote and the Express box.

When I power up, the box goes through the set-up, up to the point where it updates the software.  Then it cycles through the set-up again, starting with choice of language.  It does not go to the "About your HDMI connection" screen"--it just cycles back to the choice of language screen.

I have tried turning it on/off--I've even tried swearing at it.  Nothing seems to work.

Oh, and another thing--I've lost my cable TV connection.  I didn't do anything with that...it just "went away."  The box powers on, but I can't get anything else.

And of course--to serve you better--you can't get an agent to help with an Express.  I'd be grateful if anybody can help me with this.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
makaiguy
Level 20

Re: Trouble setting up Express to replace old Roku box

I've never had this happen with any of mine (at least not so far, knock wood...) but it is frequently reported.

Some people with this problem have reported success by using a wifi hot spot on their mobile phone as the internet connection. If/when it completes the update successfully then they could switch it back to using their home wifi network.

If you don't have a phone hot spot available you could take it to a friend or neighbor's and try using their wifi for the update.

This has not been universally successful, but many people have reported it worked for them.

Let us know how you make out.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos