Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Trouble finding correct HDMI

I am trying to connect my Roku Express+ to my Toshiba TV using an HDMI cable.  When I use the input button on the TV,  as far as I can tell,  my Roku isn't showing up.  And I don't know what to label it on the HDMI output...  is it the same as a VCR/DVD or something else?

Frustrated...

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Trouble finding correct HDMI

It really doesn't mattered how it's labeled. On some TVs you can rename the inputs, but certainly not required. Whichever HDMI port you connected to, it will be labeled on the cabinet HDMI1, HDMI2, etc. Just look for the same input when you use the TV remote to change inputs. And of course, the Roku has to be powered up before it will show anything on the screen. Dumb statement, I know. Just had to say it... Smiley Wink

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Thank you for responding and nothing you add to help me is "dumb".  I am starting from 0

I'm going to try your instructions soon  I had to take a break because I was so crazed..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

0D65181A-2B12-4A8C-A9EA-480E86EF518F.jpeg

E8ADFC63-2103-4413-8E11-5D1062BD1CF4.jpeg

When I press the input button, I don’t get anything that says HDMI and then I get the Pair your remote message if I chose one of the possibilities (that I think is a possibility)

I never see the Roku symbol and I’m pretty sure it is on. I have it plugged into an external power source. Should I plug it into the TV?

I’m ready to return it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@JPSing wrote:

0D65181A-2B12-4A8C-A9EA-480E86EF518F.jpeg

E8ADFC63-2103-4413-8E11-5D1062BD1CF4.jpeg

When I press the input button, I don’t get anything that says HDMI and then I get the Pair your remote message if I chose one of the possibilities (that I think is a possibility)

I never see the Roku symbol and I’m pretty sure it is on. I have it plugged into an external power source. Should I plug it into the TV?

I’m ready to return it. 

OK, that appears to be an older Panasonic, or maybe Toshiba TV. No, those names are default labels in the TV, not anything detected plugged into the ports. But look in the top-right corner. See where it says HDMI 3? That's the HDMI input you currently have highlighted, which looks like it's labeled DTV. Ignore the labels and use that HDMI indicator at the top right. You'll never see a Roku symbol on the TV, so don't worry about that. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

You're not seeing the roku symbol because its past that and you need to pair the remote to the roku to control the roku at all. Follow prompts to press and hold the pairing button in the battery compartment of the remote.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Thank you. For some reason, unbeknownst to me, the Roku finally appeared and I got it set up. 
thank you very much again. 

0 Kudos