Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Traveling with my Roku and setting it up on another tv that's using cable snd his wifi

I will travel over the holidays and want to take my Roku (Premiere) with my to use at relatives home. Their tv is a smart tv, already connected to cable and they have wifi, but they lost there tv remote and use the cable box remote only. How can I easily connect my Roku without unhooking cables if I am able to do so OR do they need a universal remote if they cannot locate their specific tv remote?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Traveling with my Roku and setting it up on another tv that's using cable snd his wifi

Cable remotes usual have device keys, one for Cable, and one is always TV, under TV I'm sure there's INPUT key, switch to unused hdmi input. Its a smart tv, so it's modern enough to have hdmi's. Just remember to bring your Roku remote and hdmi cable, don't rely on the cable remote  being able to control the Roku.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Traveling with my Roku and setting it up on another tv that's using cable snd his wifi

I'm having this similar issue now.  Roku ultra was connected and working fine via wired ethernet and HDMI 1080P.  Just unplugged and took with me.  New location has WiFi and HD TV with available HDMI(not sure of highest resolution).

When I turn on the Roku, it displays the splash screen and do-do-doop sound for a few seconds, then goes to a blue screen NO SIGNAL on the TV.  I assumed it was because the TV could only do 720P or 1080I and not 1080P, (splash screen is SD, then it switches up).  So I tried instructions somewhere on this forum, a sequence of button pushes to change resolution.  It didn't work.  I think the reason it didn't work is because I also have the 2 flash white LED pattern indicating no network connection which makes sense given the changed location.  I tried the reset button on the bottom of Roku ultra but that did not seem to change the situation.  With the Holiday season approaching, lots of people will have this problem.  What is the solution?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@slomobile wrote:

I'm having this similar issue now.  Roku ultra was connected and working fine via wired ethernet and HDMI 1080P.  Just unplugged and took with me.  New location has WiFi and HD TV with available HDMI(not sure of highest resolution).

When I turn on the Roku, it displays the splash screen and do-do-doop sound for a few seconds, then goes to a blue screen NO SIGNAL on the TV.  I assumed it was because the TV could only do 720P or 1080I and not 1080P, (splash screen is SD, then it switches up).  So I tried instructions somewhere on this forum, a sequence of button pushes to change resolution.  It didn't work.  I think the reason it didn't work is because I also have the 2 flash white LED pattern indicating no network connection which makes sense given the changed location.  I tried the reset button on the bottom of Roku ultra but that did not seem to change the situation.  With the Holiday season approaching, lots of people will have this problem.  What is the solution?

All current Roku players support 720p, so that shouldn't be the problem. However, some of the oldest HD TVs did not support either 720p or 1080p over HDMI. They only accept SD or 1080i, neither of which any current Roku supports. If that's the case, your only recourse is to use a Roku Express+ with analog outputs (SD of course) or replace the TV with a newer display that supports 1080p. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos