Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Seamark
Level 7

Traveling with ROKU Device

Jump to solution

Can I use my ROKU device on TV's at other locations while traveling? There is high speed internet available and also smart TV's.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Traveling with ROKU Device

Jump to solution

@Seamark 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Yes you can use your Roku device at other locations while traveling. We highly recommend making sure that you make sure to bring your remote, as a frequent question that we receive in the Community is how to control their device if they forgot/lost their remote!

In addition, please be aware that depending on where you are traveling, channel availability/access on Roku devices will vary from region to region. A Roku device will work in any location, however, channels may not be available on your device in that location, based on each channel provider's discretion. If you are traveling to another region/country, you may need to create another Roku account for that region in order use your device.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Seamark 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Yes you can use your Roku device at other locations while traveling. We highly recommend making sure that you make sure to bring your remote, as a frequent question that we receive in the Community is how to control their device if they forgot/lost their remote!

In addition, please be aware that depending on where you are traveling, channel availability/access on Roku devices will vary from region to region. A Roku device will work in any location, however, channels may not be available on your device in that location, based on each channel provider's discretion. If you are traveling to another region/country, you may need to create another Roku account for that region in order use your device.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I used to travel with an older Roku Stick, and now I use a Premiere. Both worked just fine with any hotel network that I used. As Danny mentioned, some channels might be geo-locked if you've traveled outside your home country, and some channels might depend on you being on your home network, such as a cable company provided channel. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Papercut
Level 7

Jump to solution

I brought my premiere on vacation and I can't get it to load. It connects to the power source, shows the buffering icon for about 4 seconds and turns to "no signal" while still having a staticky power light displayed.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Papercut wrote:

I brought my premiere on vacation and I can't get it to load. It connects to the power source, shows the buffering icon for about 4 seconds and turns to "no signal" while still having a staticky power light displayed.

Are you connecting it to a USB port on the TV for power? If so, don't do that and use the power cube that came with it. 

So, you see the dancing Roku logo while booting, and then it goes blank? That sounds like an incompatible video resolution. Some older TVs, even though they have an HDMI port, can't accept a 1080p signal. They usually can accept a 720p signal, which the Roku can output, but those older sets can also send the wrong signal over the HDMI connection about what it can accept. The only solution is to plug the Roku into a TV that accepts 1080p and then manually setting the display to 720p. Then it will work on the other set. But if you're traveling, that's probably something difficult to accomplish. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos