Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Putnam108
Level 7

Toggle between Roku streaming and cable TV

How do I toggle between using Roku streaming and my regular cable TV channels?

There are channels I watch on cable TV which are not available on Roku.

Do I have to completely disconnect Roku to go back to cable TV?  Surely there is a better way.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jeffrok
Level 13

Re: Toggle between Roku streaming and cable TV

How is your Roku box and cable box hooked up to your TV? If the answer is "via HDMI cable", note that most TV's have more than one HDMI port. You can plug your Roku into HDMI 1 and your cable box into HDMI 2. 

When you want to watch your Roku, you switch your TV input to HDMI 1, and to watch your cable box, you switch your TV input to HDMI 2. This is usually done thru the Input button (or similar) on your TV remote.

Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
Unitedwestand00
Level 7

i tried dong that i have 3 Hdmi pluins how to plug in another one into hdmi 2 plz help

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@Unitedwestand00 wrote:

i tried dong that i have 3 Hdmi pluins how to plug in another one into hdmi 2 plz help

You connect one device to the first HDMI port, and connect the second device to the next one. You use the TV remote to switch inputs between the Roku and the cable box.

I am assuming you aren't using a Roku TV. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos