I've been recommended to get a Roku box, and have some questions.
1. Do the live TV channels have an EPG?
2. Can you delete and reorder the channels in the EPG?
3. Can Roku be used to record TV shows from live TV? (I don't watch live TV unless I can skip the commercials.)
4. I believe the other feature of Roku is that you can watch non-live TV shows at any time you wish. Do these shows have any commercials? And if so, is there any way to know which ones will have commercials so they can be avoided? (I haven't watched a TV commercial in about 15 years since I got my PVR and have no intention of watching them again.)
5. I'm not interested in premium services, so can these all be hidden? Or, are they contained in a separate menu which you don't have to look in if you're not interested? I would find it very irritating having premium content on the screen when it's not something I'm interested in.
Finally, I need to make sure I get the right model of Roku. The model I'm thinking of getting is the Roku 2 XS. My requirements are...
- Must have ethernet, as I don't have wireless internet.
- Must output at SD resolution (my TV's HD capabilities are limited)
- I'd like a card reader so I can play back my own videos
- I'd prefer a unit without a microphone
Saw in another thread that John wants ethernet, so a Roku 3 would probably be the best bet, sdtv compatible, ethernet and much better performance than a 2 XS.
edit - roku 3 also has usb for videos/music, also has a card reader but i don't think there's anyway to use it for personal media (although ive never looked into it)
The SD card cannot be used for any other function.