Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Think my roku account has expired.

Jump to solution

I still have my roku remote and box.  The remote will not turn on even with new batteries and wires hooked up correctly. I hear since I have not used it in a while, it may have now expired.  I would like to use Emby, but this does not show up on my Roku remote, just Netflix, Google Play, Hulu, and Sling.  How do I go about restarting the account, and if I need to order a new set-up.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Think my roku account has expired.

Jump to solution

First, try to log into your account at my.roku.com. If you can log in, your account is valid. I've never heard of an account expiring, but who knows. If you can't log in, create a new account. If you create a new account, you'll need to factory reset your Roku to use the new account. let us know if you need instructions with that.

Back on the Roku device, you might have other issues. The remote doesn't "turn on". If it's an IR remote, it does nothing until a button is pressed. If it's a WiFi-Direct (or Bluetooth with the 3100), then it needs to be paired to the Roku. Open the battery case and see if there's a button near the bottom. If so, press that button and see if it will pair to the Roku. If there's no button, it's IR.

Depending on the model of Roku (not name, model number), it might simply be too old. Roku has discontinued support for a lot of the oldest models, and there are no longer updates available. And the channels you wish to use might not work on an older Roku.

Ignore the buttons on the remote. Those were paid for by those companies, you can't change what a button activates, but it has no bearing on what's usable on the Roku itself. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Think my roku account has expired.

Jump to solution

First, try to log into your account at my.roku.com. If you can log in, your account is valid. I've never heard of an account expiring, but who knows. If you can't log in, create a new account. If you create a new account, you'll need to factory reset your Roku to use the new account. let us know if you need instructions with that.

Back on the Roku device, you might have other issues. The remote doesn't "turn on". If it's an IR remote, it does nothing until a button is pressed. If it's a WiFi-Direct (or Bluetooth with the 3100), then it needs to be paired to the Roku. Open the battery case and see if there's a button near the bottom. If so, press that button and see if it will pair to the Roku. If there's no button, it's IR.

Depending on the model of Roku (not name, model number), it might simply be too old. Roku has discontinued support for a lot of the oldest models, and there are no longer updates available. And the channels you wish to use might not work on an older Roku.

Ignore the buttons on the remote. Those were paid for by those companies, you can't change what a button activates, but it has no bearing on what's usable on the Roku itself. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post