Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
D33
Level 8

There was a problem activating. Please get a new code to try again. Time after time, same issue.

I have been trying for 3 days to get an activation code with no success, I am getting a good wifi and internet signal so what is the problem? I have read all the suggestions in the community however I am limited at what I can do because I live in an RV in a RV park with shared metered internet and no cell phone reception here in the Montana mountains. I have no control of the router since it is provided by the RV park and hot spot availability since I live in a cell service dead zone. What options do I have to make this activation work or do I need to return the Roku and try Amazon Fire Stick instead?

6 Replies
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: There was a problem activating. Please get a new code to try again. Time after time, same issue.

When you attempt to link be sure you enter the full https://roku.com/link address in your browser, and make sure you go there directly.   It will redirect you to https://my.roku.com/link, but that's okay. 

If you enter just roku.com/link your browser may instead send you to a web search for "roku.com/link", the results of which will contain some bogus non-Roku sites whose intent is to get your credit card information and usually try to extract some bogus activation charges (Roku has no such charges).

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.

Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Roku Streaming Stick 3600
0 Kudos
D33
Level 8

Re: There was a problem activating. Please get a new code to try again. Time after time, same issue.

Thanks for offering a solution, I appreciate that however it is not the web link on the computer that is the problem, I do go to the correct link site. The problem is my TV With the roku stick never offers a code, it just buffers then post this message on the TV: There was a problem activating. Please get a new code to try again. I do try again and again but no code is ever provided otherwise I would be able to post the code into the link on web link site.

Tivoburkee

To get a new code you have to do a factory reset, with the tv powered, look for the reset button at the top of the input & output panel, make sure you depress it for over 30 seconds.

Edmund

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
D33
Level 8

I have tried the factory reset about a dozen times, with the TV powered on of course. As far as the input output button on the panel being held down for 30 seconds I not sure what panel button you are referring to.

0 Kudos
renojim

Never mind, I just noticed you can't get cell phone reception.  Try a factory reset:

https://support.roku.com/article/208757008-How-to-factory-reset-before-returning-selling-or-gifting

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
D33
Level 8

Thanks for all the input, I have tried the reset over and over with no code provided. The ROKU streaming device is not going to work for me so I am sending it back tomorrow and getting the Amzn Fire Stick.

I have tried all the suggestions that are possible for me and my situation with no success. It shouldn't be that difficult to activate a ROKU Streaming player, we shouldn't have to go through so many hoops to make the device stream. Roku should fix this problem.