Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

There was a problem activating. Please get a new code to try again. Time after time, same issue.

I have been trying for 3 days to get an activation code with no success, I am getting a good wifi and internet signal so what is the problem? I have read all the suggestions in the community however I am limited at what I can do because I live in an RV in a RV park with shared metered internet and no cell phone reception here in the Montana mountains. I have no control of the router since it is provided by the RV park and hot spot availability since I live in a cell service dead zone. What options do I have to make this activation work or do I need to return the Roku and try Amazon Fire Stick instead?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: There was a problem activating. Please get a new code to try again. Time after time, same issue.

When you attempt to link be sure you enter the full https://roku.com/link address in your browser, and make sure you go there directly.   It will redirect you to https://my.roku.com/link, but that's okay. 

If you enter just roku.com/link your browser may instead send you to a web search for "roku.com/link", the results of which will contain some bogus non-Roku sites whose intent is to get your credit card information and usually try to extract some bogus activation charges (Roku has no such charges).

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: There was a problem activating. Please get a new code to try again. Time after time, same issue.

Thanks for offering a solution, I appreciate that however it is not the web link on the computer that is the problem, I do go to the correct link site. The problem is my TV With the roku stick never offers a code, it just buffers then post this message on the TV: There was a problem activating. Please get a new code to try again. I do try again and again but no code is ever provided otherwise I would be able to post the code into the link on web link site.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

To get a new code you have to do a factory reset, with the tv powered, look for the reset button at the top of the input & output panel, make sure you depress it for over 30 seconds.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have tried the factory reset about a dozen times, with the TV powered on of course. As far as the input output button on the panel being held down for 30 seconds I not sure what panel button you are referring to.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Never mind, I just noticed you can't get cell phone reception.  Try a factory reset:

https://support.roku.com/article/208757008-How-to-factory-reset-before-returning-selling-or-gifting

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks for all the input, I have tried the reset over and over with no code provided. The ROKU streaming device is not going to work for me so I am sending it back tomorrow and getting the Amzn Fire Stick.

I have tried all the suggestions that are possible for me and my situation with no success. It shouldn't be that difficult to activate a ROKU Streaming player, we shouldn't have to go through so many hoops to make the device stream. Roku should fix this problem. 

0 Kudos