Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MarkaR
Level 7

Tech support says you have to pay $69.95 to update your roku device.

Jump to solution
My brand new roku device will not connect to the internet, neither will my old one. My FireStick connects. Roku tech support said I would have to pay for a new update to the tune of $69.95!
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Tivoburkee
Level 16

Re: Tech support says you have to pay $69.95 to update your roku device.

Jump to solution

It's a scam, that was not true Roku tech support, it cost nothing to roku service.

Edmund

View solution in original post

Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@MarkaR wrote:
My brand new roku device will not connect to the internet, neither will my old one. My FireStick connects. Roku tech support said I would have to pay for a new update to the tune of $69.95!

That was not Roku support. Roku never charges for support or device registration. Unfortunately there are many scam sites on the Internet that only want your credit card info, or even worse want to connect to your computer remotely. NEVER permit that to happen! I hope you didn't provide any personal info or payment method. If you did, please cancel that payment method immediately and contest any charges made from "support". If you gave them a phone number (and perhaps even if you didn't, with caller ID) you may get a callback from them asking you to stop the block. Don't listen, just hang up.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Tivoburkee
Level 16

Jump to solution

It's a scam, that was not true Roku tech support, it cost nothing to roku service.

Edmund

Highlighted
Leslie333
Level 8

Jump to solution
How would we know? Tech support is **bleep** on here!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@MarkaR wrote:

That was not Roku support. Roku never charges for support or device registration. Unfortunately there are many scam sites on the Internet that only want your credit card info, or even worse want to connect to your computer remotely. NEVER permit that to happen! I hope you didn't provide any personal info or payment method. If you did, please cancel that payment method immediately and contest any charges made from "support". If you gave them a phone number (and perhaps even if you didn't, with caller ID) you may get a callback from them asking you to stop the block. Don't listen, just hang up.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@Leslie333 wrote:
How would we know? Tech support is **bleep** on here!

In fairness, this forum is not technical support. It's primarily for users to assist each other with issues or questions. There are two Roku employees that moderate the forum and attempt to assist users. But they themselves are not technical support either. All they can do is pass things on and ask questions that may help resolve the problem. But they do have access to tech support, so they try their best to help users.

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Inspirator
Level 7

Jump to solution

I was scammed $68.95 for Set up fee....called and cancelled the charge about hour later and cancelled card...I just got an online request to verify charge from some company called Pueblisoft....do I write back telling them to cancel or that I know they are scam??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@Inspirator wrote:

I was scammed $68.95 for Set up fee....called and cancelled the charge about hour later and cancelled card...I just got an online request to verify charge from some company called Pueblisoft....do I write back telling them to cancel or that I know they are scam??

It's a scam. Don't verify or acknowledge anything. Smiley Happy

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
mloyu
Level 7

Jump to solution

I think Roku supports this money grab through 3rd parties. Rokuu does not provide a support phone number in their booklet to resolve this activation problem. They are not diligent in correctng this problem

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@mloyu wrote:

I think Roku supports this money grab through 3rd parties. Roku does not provide a support phone number in their booklet to resolve this activation problem. They are not diligent in correcting this problem

You can think that if you want, but I highly doubt it. There's nothing they can do against these scammers if they are located somewhere outside the US, as our laws don't apply to them. Roku does have a support phone number, but you have to work through the self-help system on their web site first. And again, there's nothing they can do to assist with this issue because they aren't the ones that did it. When I just activated a new Roku last week, they had an advisory message on the screen that Roku does not charge to register a device or for a user account. Exactly what else do you think they can do?

Dan
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that Roku does not charge an activation fee or charge for support and there is never a charge to create a Roku account.

For more information, visit our Support page here: Will I be charged for customer service, device activation, or creating a Roku account?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos