Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
myangelday
Level 7

Taking US Roku to Dubai?

Jump to solution

Will Roku that I have at home in the U.S. continue working in Dubai, if I take it with me?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Taking US Roku to Dubai?

Jump to solution

Will it work? Yes. Will you be able to access the same channels that you can in the US? Highly unlikely. The channel developers (not Roku) determine what geographical areas they will allow their channel to work. They can determine where you are in the world based on your IP address. So it doesn't matter if your Roku account is US based, if you are outside the permitted geo area, it won't work. Some examples of channels that do this are Amazon Prime and Netflix. Also note that while the provider (such as Prime) might offer service in a particular country, they might not permit it on a Roku device. Again, Roku themselves have no control over this. It's completely under the control of the channel developer and the content provider. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Taking US Roku to Dubai?

Jump to solution

Will it work? Yes. Will you be able to access the same channels that you can in the US? Highly unlikely. The channel developers (not Roku) determine what geographical areas they will allow their channel to work. They can determine where you are in the world based on your IP address. So it doesn't matter if your Roku account is US based, if you are outside the permitted geo area, it won't work. Some examples of channels that do this are Amazon Prime and Netflix. Also note that while the provider (such as Prime) might offer service in a particular country, they might not permit it on a Roku device. Again, Roku themselves have no control over this. It's completely under the control of the channel developer and the content provider. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post