Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

TV Select input

Hiand thanks for helping me Iam 71 and need to hook up 4 TV. Two are old ones  So I have the Roku Express+ for them . What will I select for input seeing I am not using the HDMI CABLE .

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: TV Select input

@Piper1 

Thanks for the inquiry.

If you are not using the HDMI cable to connect your device and are using the component cables, try using another input on your TV such as A/V.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thank You Danny My friend up the road(76) and me are tied of the cable company uping our bill when they feel like it. Mine is  250.50 a month  We are goining to try and hook up Rohu . I  am should I will have allot of question and I want to thank you in advance if you help Thanks Best  ED

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Yes, if you are not using the HDMI cable, then you must be using analog video/audio cables, with red, white and yellow end connections. On the TV input selection, it could be labeled Video 1, A/V 1, or there might not even be a number. If there's only a single analog connection, it's likely just labeled A/V or Video. But every TV manufacturer seems to make up their own names, so if you can tell us the make and model of the TV we can look up the manual and see how best to connect your Roku. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

The Tv/dvd is a Toshiba 15 inch. 15LV505. iT HAS 8 CABLE OUTLETS in the back.. It does have a yellow ,white and red one in a row up and down. Then White and red, Then green blue and red one .I would think itI would be the first three . Thanks for the help.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@Piper1 wrote:

The Tv/dvd is a Toshiba 15 inch. 15LV505. iT HAS 8 CABLE OUTLETS in the back.. It does have a yellow ,white and red one in a row up and down. Then White and red, Then green blue and red one .I would think itI would be the first three . Thanks for the help.  

OK, that TV does not have an HDMI input. Ignore the red/green/blue row. Those are component video inputs, and no Roku has that kind of outputs. The middle row is an s-video input with audio jacks. Don't use that row either. The only row that a Roku player with analog output can use the the row with red/white/yellow. Match the colors with the same colors on the cable ends. I'm just guessing, but from my older Toshiba sets I had I believe the input will just be labeled AV, with the component input labeled Colorstream HD.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

You are right it  says 

Colorstream HD.

I am waiting on a new modem and a 100 speed before I start putting them on  I am sure I will have more questions and I thank you very much 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@Piper1 wrote:

You are right it  says 

Colorstream HD.

I am waiting on a new modem and a 100 speed before I start putting them on  I am sure I will have more questions and I thank you very much 

Yep, you don't want to use that input, as you won't see anything. Smiley Very Happy

Happy to assist, feel free to ask away. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

i can not sign into my account I have to go here and then it will let me in That is what the test is all about Can anyone help on this 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@RokuDanny-R are Roku employees and moderate this forum. If they're still online today they should get notified I pinged them, otherwise they should get back to you first thing in the morning.

Dan
0 Kudos