Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Switching my Ultra to a new TV.

I bought a new Ultra today and connected it to my old plasma 1080 tv. On Tuesday, I will want to use it on my new QLED tv. I know I need a new HDMI cable for the 4K, but are there any settings I'll need to change?

In the past, I've switched my Roku boxes around among the tvs in the house without any difficulty, but this new tv is a far different technology.

Thanks ahead of time for any thoughts.

Paul

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: Switching my Ultra to a new TV.

@ocolumn wrote:

I bought a new Ultra today and connected it to my old plasma 1080 tv. On Tuesday, I will want to use it on my new QLED tv. I know I need a new HDMI cable for the 4K, but are there any settings I'll need to change?

In the past, I've switched my Roku boxes around among the tvs in the house without any difficulty, but this new tv is a far different technology.

Paul

Why do you want to use Roku Ultra on your new QLED TV? Is your old Plasma TV broken?

~Jordan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@Michelle3 wrote:

Why do you want to use Roku Ultra on your new QLED TV? Is your old Plasma TV broken?

~Jordan

Because the plasma is only 1080? And if you're talking about the set's built in apps, in most cases the Roku is vastly superior to what they put in the TV's OS. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@ocolumn wrote:

Paul

If your Ultra came with an HDMI cable, you don't need a new one. But if you were using something you had around the house, yes I would suggest getting a cable certified for 18 Gbps speed. Ignore the labels that claim 4K support or any other magical term. There's no such thing as a 4K HDMI cable. A cable is a cable, and the only difference (besides quality of course) is if it support Ethernet over HDMI, and it's speed rating. For 4K/60 HDR, you must have a cable good for 18 Gbps. 

Other than that, just power it off, unplug it from the plasma and connect it to your QLED Samsung. Once it's powered up, check the display setting in the menu and make sure it's showing 4K HDR 60 Hz as the configured setting. If it's showing 30 Hz, go into the TV's settings and enable UHD Color on the HDMI jack that your Roku is feeding. I think Samsung finally set that on by default, but check to make sure. Otherwise you won't get HDR on some content. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos