Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Subscription

I am setting up my new Roku and it says I have to transfer my subscription management for existing subscriptions to Roku. If I transfer my Netflix and Hulu will I still be able to use them on devices without Roku?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Subscription

That's the first time I've ever heard of this.  Are you certain when you linked your device you went to https://roku.com/link?  There's a lot of scams out there, so I'm always suspicious when something sounds out of the ordinary.  There's advantages to not having your subscriptions paid through Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Subscription

I am suspicious as well.   But more to the point, if you subscribed to these services directly with these services (and I think that's the only way to subscribe to Netflix) you will want to continue with these current subscriptions if you want to use them with all devices that support them.

I have subscriptions to four paid services (Netflix, Hulu, Prime, Acorn), all made directly with the services, not through Roku, and I can view them on all my devices, including my Rokus.  Admittedly I have no direct knowledge of premiums subscribed-to via third party providers like Roku, but I believe these would only be viewable via the third party provider - someone will be glad to jump on me with both feet if this is wrong.

The only way I can envision needing to move a subscription would be if you made it through a third party provider like a cable or satellite company and you no longer have that cable or satellite account and can no longer view the channel.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos