Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Stuck on Roku load screen

Same issue happened to me on all three of my Roku devices.  I did some research and saw a bunch of people who had issues and mentioned They had issues with their Nintendo Switch Pokemon Sword and Shield games too.  So my son and I did a test and it appears that when the Switch is on wireless network it kills the Roku for some reason.  When he turned the switch to Airplane mode, I was able to reset the Roku and it worked fine.  Had to do a factory reboot first, but it works now.  Just to confirm, I had him change it back and it immediately killed the Roku again.  Might be a coincidence but, the Roku is working now.

Highlighted
Level 7

So relieved to hear I'm not the only one.  Roku 2 here.  I added the Disney + app today.  I was wondering because I have an older model Roku that it might have screwed it up. I tried a hard reset too, to no avail.   I guess we play the waiting game at this point to see if it straightens out?  I didn't find a customer service phone number.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Yikes!!  I missed your comment.  My kid too added Pokemon!!  I thought it was because I added Disney +.

EDIT:  POKEMON WAS THE PROBLEM!!  

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Same problem here!

Reset my rocku stick a few times, unplugged it, turned TV on and off again.

Once we turned the switch to airplane mode everything working just fine. Weird!

Now to set everything up again...

EDIT: Was also interfering with Alexa devices

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Pokemon Sword/Shield culprit on Roku 3 suddenly not working. We never put it together yesterday. Two separate units different rooms delivery of Pokemon Sword/Shield, Roku device suddenly freezing up mid-play. Thought maybe the Roku device was having a fit. No 'damage' to unit without a reset, so you don't need to reset your data.

Further, you can use some of the wireless options in airplane mode without it causing an issue. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Ok Thank you was racking my brain on this yesterday and same thing we got that new Pokemon sword and shield game and was playing and out went all the roku sticks. Ok they really need to check on this

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I don’t have a Switch and mine was doing the same thing yesterday. The only thing connected to my internet an iPad, iPhone, and Xbox(which was turned off). I factory reset mine over 20 times and nothing. Woke up this morning and it was still stuck. Figured I try to reset it again and to my utter surprise it worked! I spoke with Roku tech support last night and they confirmed it was a software issue. I’m not entirely sure how mine got fixed because I know that once you do a hard reset it is no longer connected to Wi-Fi. 🤷🏼‍♂️
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Do you have close neighbors who might have a switch?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I read the other comments about the Nintendo Switch. Asked my son and, yes, he did buy Pokemon Sword and Shield yesterday. He turned his game system off and the Roku started working again after a soft reboot. I told him to put it on airplane mode when he starts it again. Hopefully this will take care of the problem.

Highlighted
Level 8

I woke up this morning and the roku was working, my daughter gets up an hour after me and turns on the switch and all 4 rokus in the house stopped working
0 Kudos