Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Streaming stick+ Error code 020

I just bought the streaming stick+ and I just keep getting “error code:020. I’ve unplugged everything and turn things off then plugged them back in. I don’t actually have a hdmi with it, the device is plugged in directly.

My tv isn’t 4K though. I read it doesn’t have to be to use the stick+. 
Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Streaming stick+ Error code 020

Streaming stick plus works fine on a non-4K set, I'm using one myself.  It's just a matter of setting the Roku to your tv's resolution.

The stick only provides video and audio to the tv via an HDMI connection, so do you really mean your set has no HDMI ports -- or maybe you mean you are plugged directly into the tv's HDMI port, not by using an HDMI cable between them?

Error 020 indicates that the communication between the Roku and tv has failed to establish the required high definition copy protection (one more acronym, HDCP) protocols that are required for high definition television over the HDMI link.   The problem could be at either end. 

A really old tv set may not have the required protocols built in (unlikely), or not functioning properly. 

Or your Roku may be defective. 

Or perhaps it is not making a good HDMI connection.  Make sure the stick is firmly inserted in the tv's HDMI port, and make sure the connectors on both are clean by blowing them out with compressed air.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos