Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HGF
Channel Surfer

Streaming Stick didn't work, only legacy HDMI. Which new one to buy?

Hello and thanks in advance for any help you might offer. We have a Sharp Aquos LED Quattro TV that is 8 years old. The legacy Roku with HDMI cable works, but doesn't offer the channels we want. I purchased the streaming stick and it did NOT work on this TV. I was able to connect it on another TV so I know it's not the streaming stick. I want to buy a ROKU for the Sharp, but don't know what to buy. Is there one that offers all the current channels in HD, etc that uses an HDMI connection? I don't know what else to try. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Streaming Stick didn't work, only legacy HDMI. Which new one to buy?

@HGF 

This isn't making sense. Let's make sure what we're talking about. Roku uses the word "channels" to refer to apps. Unless of course you're connecting an antenna and watching channels that way, in which case it doesn't really mean an app. So, let's clarify what the issue is.

Are you saying the Roku Streaming Stick doesn't have certain apps? If so, which apps? Name three that you want that you can't get.

If you mean something other than apps, please explain.

What is the Roku model number, and which OS version? Settings > System > About

The age of the TV won't impact what apps can be found on the Roku. The Roku model (that is older Roku devices) and your location (US, Canada, UK, etc) will make a difference.

What additional information can you provide?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

HGF
Channel Surfer

Hi there and thanks so much for your response. Wow, I messed a lot of info up - sorry about that. Let me try again. On the old SmartTv we currently use a legacy ROKU with an HDMI connection. It is this legacy system that doesn't offer all the apps and the ROKU site confirms that is the issue. So I bought a Streaming Stick (Model 3810X with v 10.0.0) for that TV and couldn't get it to work. By that I mean no connection, nothing. It also turned out to be a VERY troublesome install physically because it's an 85" TV that is wall mounted. I didn't troubleshoot the stick, instead I took it to a newer, non-smart TV in another room and it works great. We get all the apps we want and it's perfect. I want that same experience on the main big TV, but don't know what ROKU player to buy because the streaming stick didn't work and I would prefer to use the side access to HDMI because I can get to it more easily. Would the 4K be the best bet?

I hope I was more clear this time and SO MANY THANKS for your help! You rock!

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@HGF 

I'm concluding, as do you it seems, that the Streaming Stick+ (model 3810) is working, just not with that TV. Here's what I think could be going on, if I can confirm a thing or two.

First, confirm that you do have the Roku set up, using the other TV. If so, then you should be able to plug it in to the older TV and it work. Is the Roku Streaming Stick+ still set up from the other TV?

If so, when you connect it to the older TV, does it boot up? Do you see the bouncing Roku startup menu first time you power it up? If not, confirm 1) it has power (the included power supply is recommended), and 2) you are on the correct HDMI port on the TV.

If you do see the Roku booting up, it should resolve to the main menu. Does it?

If so, then it may be prompting you for a network connection. And this is what I'm guessing you're running into. However, this may not be the case, so I would prefer that you confirm this.

If it's a network connection issue, as I suspect, then we may need to do some additional troubleshooting to see if the device will work. It is possible it won't, but it's not the TV, necessarily. Before I go further, let's confirm the Roku boots, is visiible on the TV, but the network connection is the issue.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

HGF
Channel Surfer

You are wonderful! Yes, the streaming stick works great on the small TV and we want to leave it there as a back up to the big TV. So I need to buy a new one for the big TV. I would prefer not to wrestle with getting into the back of the tv by temporarily moving the streaming stick and testing it. Is that imperative to determining if a current ROKU player will work on that TV? NOT trying to shirk my research, it's just that it's a huge tv mounted really close to the wall and I can't see and can barely get my arm in there. Not ideal, hence the mention of the cable connection on the side. SO MANY THANKS for your help!

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@HGF 

The answer is a definite ... maybe.

I think something is interfering with the WiFi signal to the Streaming Stick+. It could be the TV, as it's a large electronic device that could block WiFi signals if the logistics are right (or wrong, from the user perspective). It could also be the location.

If it's the back of the TV that's the problem, then a Roku device that's not behind the TV may resolve the issue. However, if the interference isn't limited to the back of the TV, and other aspects -- materials in the wall, wiring, RF leakage, etc. -- are the culprit, then a Roku box won't necessarily do the job, if it's the area where the TV is located, rather than the TV itself.

I've not used the Roku Express 4K+ (currently $30, reg $40), but others really like it. I prefer the Ultra, with which I do have experience (well, the previous model Ultra) but the Ultra is $100.

If you have a local retailer that has an easy quick return policy, such as Walmart, you could pick up an Express 4k+ and try it. If it works, it works. If not, take the Roku back and decide what to do about that near-Faraday cage you call a TV.

DBDukes

HGF
Channel Surfer

I laughed so hard at the Faraday cage reference! That TV is my husbands love and I know not to bad mouth it, but this has been frustrating as heck. Thanks for all your help and good humor! I just bought the Roku at Walmart and it is tonight's project. We'll see! So many thanks!

0 Kudos