Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mistery64
Reel Rookie

Soundbar has no sound with cablebox

Jump to solution

Just purchased Roku smart soundbar, connected it and works fine with streaming through the soundbar’s HDMI port, but the soundbar will not play sound when I switch back to the HDMI port for my cablebox. I read reviews before purchasing that the soundbar is compatible with cable tv viewing, not just with its own streaming options, but I’ve tried just about every setting on my tv and the soundbar, making the soundbar the default speaker, but to no avail. What am I doing wrong? Or is this in fact only going to provide sound for its own applications? (I realize most people want Roku because they have dropped their cable provider, but I need the soundbar for both)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mistery64
Reel Rookie

Re: Soundbar has no sound with cablebox

Jump to solution

Nevermind, can’t figure out how to delete my question, but after an hour of troubleshooting finally figured out the optical cable had to connect between the soundbar and the cablebox, not the tv (I don’t have HDMI arc so I was using the optical cable) while the HDMI cable connects from soundbar to tv.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Mistery64
Reel Rookie

Re: Soundbar has no sound with cablebox

Jump to solution

Nevermind, can’t figure out how to delete my question, but after an hour of troubleshooting finally figured out the optical cable had to connect between the soundbar and the cablebox, not the tv (I don’t have HDMI arc so I was using the optical cable) while the HDMI cable connects from soundbar to tv.