Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Sony TV does not detect ROKU streaming stick is in HDMI when turned on

I think I came across a solution. We used to have our Sony Bravia connected through a hard-wired ethernet connection. Once we disconnected that, the Roku stick appears to be working again. I think the key is disconnecting the Sony TV from the internet. Of course you can no longer use the TV's smart TV features, but we use streaming devices anyway (a Roku and an NVidia Shield), so that works OK for us. YMMV

Best,

Kim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Infuriating! Just picked up my new Sony Bravia, got it mounted and set up and my Roku streaming stick isn't working. I first had to change it to a different USB port because the tv was no longer detecting it and now the remote will not pair. Went through all the troubleshooting steps and nothing. Tried calling Roku and they aren't offering phone support. How do you not offer phone support for your product!!! I don't know whether I need to take the tv back now or get a new remote, or streaming stick. Pulling hair out!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@dbowe 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify what you posted as there are things that need clarification:
-When you had to change the streaming stick to another USB port, did you mean HDMI port to connect the device? or are you using the USB port to power the Roku device?
-Can you specify what you mean by the the device was not being detected? Are you still having this issue?
-When your remote is not working, what troubleshooting steps have you done? For troubleshooting steps regarding your enhanced remote, we would recommend taking a look at our Support page here: How do I resolve problems with my Roku® enhanced "point-anywhere" remote?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Sony TV does not detect ROKU Ultra in HDMI when turned on

Have Sony Bravia TV.   TV currently has older (2014) Roku device plugged into HDMI which works, but is slow.  Got new RokuUltra to replace it. The Sony will not recognize the Roku Ultra at all!!! Tried the Ultra in our TCL tv, and the Roku Ultra worked fine in that unit.  How do I make the Ultra work in the Sony??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Sony TV does not detect ROKU Ultra in HDMI when turned on

@Jack-Mar 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us with more information? What Roku model device are you using? Is there a light on the Roku device when connected to the Sony TV? How are you powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it connected to a wall outlet with the provided cable and adapter?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos