Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RC22315
Level 8

Smart TV thinks Cable Box is a VCR

I managed to connect a Motorola cable box (Verizon FIOS) to a 43-inch TCL Roku TV, model no. 43S435, but to access it, you have to go to Antenna TV and it is listed on the Program Guide as "3 VCR". Why and what can I do to fix this?

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11\
Strega
Level 16

Re: Smart TV thinks Cable Box is a VCR

It sounds like you connected it to the antenna input on the TV. (Which was a fairly common way to do it before HDTV.) If it has other outputs like HDMI, those would provide a much better picture.

0 Kudos
RC22315
Level 8

Cable box is connected to the TV with a coaxial cable.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Forget the coax connection.  Does the cable box have any other kind of outputs - preferably HDMI?  Coax would give you the worst possible picture.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RC22315
Level 8

Why does the TV think it is an antenna connection and not a cable box? Is there a way to get the TV to recognize the cable box as a cable box through its current connection, a coaxial cable connected to where you would connect the antenna?

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@RC22315 wrote:

Why does the TV think it is an antenna connection and not a cable box? Is there a way to get the TV to recognize the cable box as a cable box through its current connection, a coaxial cable connected to where you would connect the antenna?

Does the cable box require you to have the TV on channel 3 or 4? If so, it's because it's sending a signal on that channel (frequency), just like an antenna would do. As far as the TV is concerned, that's what it is.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
RC22315
Level 8

So much for it being a "smart" TV. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@RC22315 wrote:

So much for it being a "smart" TV. Thanks. 

A signal on channel 4 is a signal on channel 4, regardless if an RF modulator in a device generates it, or if an antenna picks it up over the air. 

Most TVs today aren't expecting 1980s technology connected to it.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Highlight the vcr input on the home screen and press the option * key, then rename it anything you want. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
RC22315
Level 8

I got an HDMI cable today. Result: Way better picture than with coax cable.