Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Setup Issue: Roku not visible in any HDMI ports

I’m setting up a new Streaming Stick +. When I follow the instructions, inserting the stick in the HDMI port and powering on, the Roku is not recognized by the TV. It’s as if nothing is connected. I’ve tried all the other HDMI ports as well with no success. 
I connected the Roku into my computer monitor port and Success!  

Why won’t it work on my TV?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Setup Issue: Roku not visible in any HDMI ports

How are you powering your Roku -- plugged into the USB port on your tv, or into a power adaptor connected to your house power? Many tv USB ports don't supply the amperage needed to power a Roku reliably.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

It’s plugged into a power strip that is plugged into the wall —- not a USB on the TV. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@EagleEye 

Thanks for the information.

Have you tried plugging the device into another HDMI port on the TV? What type TV and model are you connecting the device to?

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number on the Roku with the above information requested. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I’m having a similar issue. My Roku stick is powered via USB through my Samsung TV. The Roku has worked fine for the past couple of years, but for some reason it will not register and show up on the tv screen anymore. Any ideas on how to fix this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@MoH10 

Thanks for the post.

We would try powering the device through the wall outlet with the provided cable and adapter. We would also recommend trying to use another HDMI port on your TV to see if that resolves your issue.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos