Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidhk129
Level 7

Setup Help - Switching from Roku Express+ to Roku Ultra

I am now using Roku Express+. It has been activated and working great. No complaints.
My question :
If I buy a Roku Ultra, do I need to go through the process of activating Roku Ultra or do I just connect it to my TV and it is good to go ?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Switching from Roku Express+ to Roku Ultra

You do have to activate to your account, yes. But all channels you have on your Express will be installed onto the Ultra without requiring you to do anything. However, any channel that has login information will require to be logged in on the Ultra. I believe Amazon is the only channel (at least of the ones I use) that is logged in via the Roku web site and will configure each Roku automatically. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
davidhk129
Level 7

Thank you.
While I am here, may I ask a slightly off topic question ?
What is the difference between Roku and Android TV Box ? Such as....... what can one do that the other one cannot ?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Two completely different products that offer similar functionality. They both offer access to media streaming from both local and Internet sources. Roku runs a modified version of Linux and Android TV obviously runs Android. They both offer channels/apps to access different media sources. Roku has the most available channels and an easy to use interface. Android TV can access a lot of the same media sources as a Roku, but more configuration might be necessary. Android has options to access illegal content, while Roku works hard at ensuring the content is legally available. 
Bottom line is Roku has more channels available and a much more friendly user interface. Depending on the media source you desire, chances are better that it would be available on a Roku.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

"davidhk129" wrote:
Thank you.
While I am here, may I ask a slightly off topic question ?
What is the difference between Roku and Android TV Box ? Such as....... what can one do that the other one cannot ?

The primary difference is the user interface and the fact that Roku runs on a highly customized version of Linux while the Android boxes run on, well, Android.

There are also many apps on each that are not on the other. 

Also most Android TV boxes are more than a little clumsy to use and the Android boxes run Kodi which is not available on Roku.

For me I have three Rokus in different degrees of use and I have tested many Android boxes and except for the specialty boxes (Shield and Fire) not one met my needs for a streaming box and, again for me, Kodi is of no use at all. 

I see no reason to have an Android TV box in my setup. 
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
davidhk129
Level 7

Thank you very much to both atc98092 and Elijah Bailey.
0 Kudos
davidhk129
Level 7

I have one important question which I have forgotten to ask .......
So I have a Roku express+ activated and been using on one tv.
I plan to buy another tv which will be a Roku Smart TV.
Question :
I already have a Roku account.
When I get my new Roku smart TV, do I use the same account to activate the new Roku TV or do I have to create a new account ?
Thank you.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

You can use the same account.. if you sign up with a new account, you'll have to pick your channels all over again. Some people sign up for a second account if the primary user of the new device is a different person, but most people just have one Roku account.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
davidhk129
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
You can use the same account.. if you sign up with a new account, you'll have to pick your channels all over again. Some people sign up for a second account if the primary user of the new device is a different person, but most people just have one Roku account.

Thank you.
0 Kudos