Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 13

Setting up second household

Jump to solution

Hey all,

I've been around for awhile but this is my first time needing advice on setting up a Roku for a family member in another house. 

It's for my "challenged" sister, who is pretty technology-wise, but isn't completely independent life-wise.

I'd like to set up a Roku for her with channels independent of the ones of my own (I know, needs a new Roku account).. I could set her up to be registered to my less-used Yahoo email address, but it'd also be a lot easier if Roku allowed profiles on their boxes/TVs.. I could switch between configurations (channels, logins to said channels, etc) without needing separate Roku accounts.. 

In your experiences, how have you set up Rokus for family members or friends, who you need control of their boxes, and usually remotely?

Thanks!

Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Level 21

Re: Setting up second household

Jump to solution

I use a different one of my email addresses for my mother's Roku.  I add channels for her, but she could also add them if she wanted to.  I have a PIN set up so that she can't accidentally subscribe to or purchase something, although I think that would be impossible as there's no payment method attached to her account.  She could screw things up by removing a channel, but that could be fixed remotely.  She's not one to go exploring available channels, so the setup hasn't really changed in years.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Level 21

Jump to solution

I use a different one of my email addresses for my mother's Roku.  I add channels for her, but she could also add them if she wanted to.  I have a PIN set up so that she can't accidentally subscribe to or purchase something, although I think that would be impossible as there's no payment method attached to her account.  She could screw things up by removing a channel, but that could be fixed remotely.  She's not one to go exploring available channels, so the setup hasn't really changed in years.

View solution in original post

Level 19

Jump to solution

Connect the Roku to one of your TV's at home.  Set it up and link it to that new Roku account and set up the channels as you wish.

The difficulty comes at her house if you're not there to install it.  If she can't handle your directions is there a friend or neighbor you could talk through it on the phone?  Everything should be set up except the net connection.  The physical connection is pretty easy, but you've have to talk them through making the network connection.  The hard part may be finding someone at the other end who can determine her network's net name (SSID) and password.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Level 13

Jump to solution

I'm not worried about the physical setup- I'll be doing that. 

I'm just wondering about the easiest way to set it up software-wise.. 

Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos