Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Set up on daily basis

I'm using Roku Express and settings doesn't seem to be saved because I need setup everything from scratch (starting from wireless settings up to device activation) every after turning off the device.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Set up on daily basis

Do not turn the device off.

It isnt necessary.

Press the Home button and leave it.

Just turn the TV off.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

@boogernose wrote:

It isnt necessary.

Just turn the TV off.

I agree, but turning the Roku off should not erase its settings.

Of the 4 Rokus I've used ALL of them have retained their settings when the power to them is shut down,  and they rebooted and connected back to the 'net without intervention on my part when the power is restored.

It sounds like the OP's unit is getting repeated factory resets.  The only thing I can think of that could cause this would be pressing the reset button on the unit, thinking that this is a power switch.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@makaiguy wrote:

@boogernose wrote:

It isnt necessary.

Just turn the TV off.

I agree, but turning the Roku off should not erase its settings.

Of the 4 Rokus I've used ALL of them have retained their settings when the power to them is shut down,  and they rebooted and connected back to the 'net without intervention on my part when the power is restored.

It sounds like the OP's unit is getting repeated factory resets.  The only thing I can think of that could cause this would be pressing the reset button on the unit, thinking that this is a power switch.

Nope, I'm not pressing any button after plugging the device to the power outlet and beside, Roku express doesn't have any button aside from the reset button which you need a pin or something in order to press it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

I've never had an Express but the ones I have experience with have never done this so I can't say whether that's typical for the Express. 

I'd agree with Boogernose, and that's to leave it plugged in.

When you're done watching the Roku, it is important to leave your Roku in a state where it's not streaming anything so that it doesn't continue to download unwatched programming - best way is just to return to the Roku home screen.  If your internet service has a data cap that is expensive to exceed you can see why this is important.  But even if you don't have to worry about a data cap, unwatched streaming puts a needless extra strain on the whole distribution system,  plus can slow down any other devices using your home network.  Plus the Roku can use the idle time to keep your channel apps and its own operating software up to date.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos