Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Set-up fails after software update

We've tried repeatedly to set up our Roku Express+ using our wireless network. Each time it gets through the process of the software update, restarts, shows the Roku .gif logo, and fails within 2 seconds. After failure, we get the following error:  "No Signal - Roku. Check if the source device is connected and powered on. Or press the INPUT button to select the input for the source device." We have reset the router and the Roku Express and continue to have the same set up problems. We have also attempted to connect to two telephone hotspots, but the Roku would recognize neither despite several attempts. What do we do next? 

Thanks - JenQ

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Set-up fails after software update

Make sure you're using the power adapter that came with it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Yes, did that from the start. Sadly didn't make any impact at all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Assuming your TV has multiple HDMI inputs, have you tried switching the TV's input away from the Express+ and then back?  Or try pulling out the HDMI cable and reconnecting it.  It could be some kind of HDMI handshake issue.  Next, verify whether or not the Express+ working by noting whether or not the white light on the front is on.  It should be on solid if it's working or flashing if it has a Wi-Fi issue.  If it's on solid, it should flash whenever you press a button on the remote.  Of course, make sure you're pointing the remote at the front of the Express+.

It's odd that it won't connect to a hotspot, but the Express+ will only use the 2.4GHz band.  I don't know whether or not phones can select between 5GHz and 2.4Ghz for their hotspot.

0 Kudos
Level 8

We switched from the Roku HDMI to regular TV, Chromecast, sound system and back to the Roku HDMI each time.  Still no signal.  Unplugged and replugged the Roku device and reran the set up (multiple times).  It failed again as originally described.  Took the batteries out of the remote and reinstalled them to force a remote-to-Roku device handshake, which was successful.  The light on the device is solid and blinks when commands are sent from the remote.  When reviewing connected devices on our network, the Roku Express+ appears as connected.  The failure continues at the exact same place - once the software upgrade completes 100%, the Roku device restarts, the dancing Roku letters appear for a couple of seconds and disappears to a black screen with a "No signal" error.  The light on the device remains solid, but does not blink when commands are sent from the remote.

Highlighted
Level 19

That is sounding more and more like a bad device.  If it's operating properly, once it boots up (which takes no more than a minute) the light should flash when you press a button on the remote whether or not it's even connected to a TV.  You said you reset the Express+, but did you hold in the reset button for a good 30 seconds?  If you've tried that, then I think you've tried everything you can.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@JenQ 

Thanks for the update.

If you are still unable to resolve your issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number on the Roku device. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Thanks Renojim and all of the others who have given advice, much appreciated. Unless we get additional advice by tomorrow and it works, we're returning the device to Roku.

All of you folks are great to offer help.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Well, here's the latest update on our problem... got a Roku tech on the phone.  Attempted to fix our issue, but failed.  The "blame" was not the Roku Express+, tech started pointing the finger at slow internet speed (I just checked the speed and got 90mbps), then pointed the finger at modem issues, suggesting that we needed to contact the modem manufacturer to get it resolved.  After telling the tech we have spent four days trying to get this fixed, he refuses to give us an address to return the Roku Express+.  We will likely take action tomorrow by filing a complaint with our credit card company and stopping payment to Roku.

We reattached our old Roke 3 to our TV and it works fine,.  I cranked up Amazon Prime and Hulu.  Both have worked flawlessly.  I'm watching a Hulu stream now. We are very disappointed with Roku's tech support.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Correction... the modem issue was told to us by our ISP, not the Roku tech, otherwise the previous message is accurate.

0 Kudos