Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Set up Roku SE

I received a Ruko SE for Christmas and it will not connect to any tv in my house, including TV's that already have a Roku already working on it. When I hook up the HDMI cord, the tv just stays at a blue screen as if nothing is there. I have tried multiple power supplies, so I don't think it is a power issue through the USB cord. I will may try taking it back to the store but Walmart can be pretty picky with opened electronics so if anyone has any ideas before I have to fight with Walmart I would appreciate it.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Set up Roku SE

@dewaele83 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Have you tried using another HDMI cord or another port? Have you also tried hooking up the device on another TV to see if it is working? What TV brand and model are you trying to connect your device to?

Please keep us posted and we will continue to assist you from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have connected to two different TVs, on an Erickson and one a Sceptre. Two different cords. The Erickson has an older unsupported Roku XD hooked to it that does work. The new unit was meant to replace this older unit. So not the cable or HDMI port on TV. I have also tried 3 different power sources, the TV USB, and two separate stand alone wall adapters so I don't think it is a power issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@dewaele83 

Thanks for the update.

If you are have tried connecting the device to different TVs and have used different cables to try connecting the device and are still unable to set it up, it may sound as if you may have a defective device. 

In this case, we would recommend that you take back the device to where you purchased the Roku device and exchange it for another device and see if you can set it up.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

As I had expected I had to fight with Walmart and they still refused to exchange the unit without an additional charge. The SE unit was a black Friday exclusive and will only exchange for the instock model with me paying the upcharge. Is there anything Roku can do where I don't have to pay an upcharge? I don't care if it is a bottom line model, it will be used on a low cost bedroom TV anyway. Or is there anything that can be tried to get the unit working? I knew Walmart is nearly useless when dealing with electronic merchandise, which is why I asked Roku support first, but again there as a Walmart exclusive there is no information on Roku's support about the model, it's as if the unit simply doesn't exist.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

ask when they'll be in stock.

look at the receipt for return deadline,i think they extended it.

if you don't buy direct it's the stores return policy.

manufacturer would at most honor warranty.

i think that is the bottom line model.

third generation,though a lot of people use third generation,including myself.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

They told me they are not getting more in because it is a black Friday only special and my only option would be to call individual Walmarts to ask if they have any to exchange out, they won't even do that much for me. They said any stores that do have any left is just overstock or returns that won't show on inventory for them to search.

0 Kudos