Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Screen Flashing Black and White Static

I have a brand new Roku Ultra.  During setup the screen starting going black for around 20 to 30 seconds.  I have done the following with no change.

-Different HDMI port, different power plug, reset the TV, Roku, Soundbar, changed my TV settings to 1080 and 720, changed the back light to below 60 (from another post), turned off the auto-adjust display refresh rate.

Other than returning this does anyone have any suggestions?  I should also note I have been streaming with Zero problems with my PS3 and this all started with the Roku.  I will be buying a new cable tomorrow but that same cable works with my original setup and I never had any issue with it.  My TV is less than 1 year old and my Soundbar is only 1 year old. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Screen Flashing Black and White Static

Could be the cable. So youre sure the correct Source/Input HDMI post is set?

Press the reset on the bottom of your Ultra and hold it for 25 count. Did the

screen do anything? You should be getting a Bouncing Roku in time.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have tried 2 different HDMI ports and the black screen and white static only happens with Roku.  It does not happen with my Playstation.  Did as you suggested and reset the Roku.  It started black screen within 3 minutes of trying just do my first login to one of the streaming services.   Though I am getting a new cable I am 100% it won't fix it since my cable works fine with Playstation.  I am being to think this device is defective.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

You might as well do a factory reset by holding down the reset button on top for 30 seconds and see.

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I did that with the button on the bottom (reset).  The top button sends a signal to the remote and makes it beep.  I've tried changing a bunch of different settings on the TV and the Roku thinking it was maybe refresh rate but nothing seems to help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

You might have an older TV.

What Channels are you trying to stream?

Roku is not a gaming platform.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Well it did it when I was trying to enter my login info to CBS All Access, it did while watching CBS All Access, Amazon Prime and Hulu.  I am not gaming.  I just turned it on this morning and within 2 minutes it did it.  If the new cable doesn't work I'm returning the device. 

What have others done?  I've seen a lot of people complaining about something similar and I've tried many setting changes with no change in the behavior.  I have seen many comments about an update in November causing this.  If that is so and my device updated as soon as I set it up what is Roku doing to fix this issue it seems they caused?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Also as I stated I bought my TV last April.  It is not yet 1 year old.  I am NOT gaming.  I am trying to watch TV.  I am trying to watch TV without a black screen popping up every 2 minutes, or every 7 minutes or if I am lucky I get a whole 10 minutes without the black screen.  Though when it goes for 10 minutes it goes right back again to 2 minutes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Maybe it is.

its doing this at setup??? Its only doing this on certain channels???

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Do you have a Sony 950G or another 2019 Sony TV? Mine does this too but with another device. 

0 Kudos