Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
PhilG123
Level 7

Roku won’t turn on

Just plugged in my new Roku Premiere. When connecting it to power, the screen with the Roku logo appears and then it just shuts off. Defective unit?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Re: Roku won’t turn on

@PhilG123 wrote:
Just plugged in my new Roku Premiere. When connecting it to power, the screen with the Roku logo appears and then it just shuts off. Defective unit?

It's possible, but it's also possible your TV is older and doesn't support the available resolutions that Roku supports. Some older HDTVs only supported 1080i or 540i over the digital (HDMI) connection. Current Roku models only support 720p, 1080p and the 4K players support 2160p. What model TV do you have?

If you do have a TV that supports those resolutions, the Premiere is likely defective. But before returning it you might try holding the hidden reset button and see if the OS is stuck in a loop of some sort. The button is recessed in a small hole, and you use a pin or toothpick so push it. Have the Roku powered on and hold the button for a MINIMUM of 30 seconds. Ignore what's happening on the screen, keep holding it for that long. If it still goes blank after booting, then exchange it. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
PhilG123
Level 7

Toshiba 50L2200U. Looks like it should support 1080p so I’m not sure why it’s not working. Long reset did nothing so I’ll try to replace it and see. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

@PhilG123 wrote:

Toshiba 50L2200U. Looks like it should support 1080p so I’m not sure why it’s not working. Long reset did nothing so I’ll try to replace it and see. 

Yep, your TV supports 1080p, so most likely the Roku is defective. Testing on a different TV would be conclusive. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos