Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku will not link to account

Getting very frustrated. We have a Roku account with 12 other Roku devices, and have never had an issue until this evening. We purchased a Roku Express to add to the mix, and this thing will not link to the account. It asks for the associated email address, I enter it in, then check email. I receive the email every time as I should, and from the computer side it shows the device linking successfully after clicking through each of the channel pages. Shortly after the Roku reboots on its own, then goes right back to the screen to enter in my email address to link it again. I have tried linking the device 10-12 times, and its just stuck in a continuous loop. I understand technical issues can arise with products, but frustrated with Rokus complete lack of support options. This will be the last Roku we purchase.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku will not link to account

To be honest, if you just got it I'd take it back.  You can try using a paperclip or something similar to press and hold the reset button for no less than 30 seconds with the power connected and try one more time, but if that doesn't help take it back.  It's most likely a faulty device.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Also, if you are powering it via a USB port on the TV - switch it to the USB power supply that came with it.  A shortage of power often manifests as a reboot during setup.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@joelthompson

Thanks for the post.

I have responded to the PM that you sent me and will continue to assist you from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jen002
Reel Rookie

I have two brand new Roku ultra‘s, I’m at the end of the set up where it says activate your Roku player I did get the activation link and I pressed that went through the entire set up and now it’s asking me for the code on my TV but my screen is still stuck on activate your Roku player, it’s the same thing on both TVs.I actually canceled my account and started a new one because it would not recognize my email, so I have no idea what to do

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Jen002,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

We appreciate your patience regarding this matter. I understand that you are unable to proceed and complete the activation process.

Could you please verify the exact error messages when you are trying to activate your Roku device?

You can try performing a factory reset on your device. This will reset all settings and return your Roku device to a state ready for initial setup.

Follow the steps below from your Roku device to perform a factory reset.

1. Press the Home button home button on Roku remote on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll up or down and select Settings.
  3. Select System.
  4. Select Advanced system settings.
  5. Select Factory reset.
  6. If you have a Roku TV, select Factory reset everything. Otherwise, move to the next step.
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions.

For more information on how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

In addition, have you tried rebooting your wireless network as well as checking the remote if responding to button presses, try removing the batteries from your remote and re-insert them to see if that resolves the issue you are experiencing? 

I've provided an additional link below to go into further detail on how to resolve player activation issues: How do I resolve an issue when activating or linking my Roku® streaming device? | Official Roku Supp...

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Mary

0 Kudos