Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chasedean
Visitor

Roku stuck on set up language screen and remote won't sync help

Remote wouldn't sync so I hard reset the roku by pressing reset button on back. It went to setup language page but when I tried holding sync button in battery department. Nothing happens. Help

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
42 REPLIES 42
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku stuck on set up language screen and remote won't sync help

"chasedean" wrote:
Remote wouldn't sync so I hard reset the roku by pressing reset button on back. It went to setup language page but when I tried holding sync button in battery department. Nothing happens. Help

Start simply. Check your batteries. You said "nothing happens" which could mean you didn't get a light on the remote. So, check the batteries.

Apart from that, it's always helpful to provide which Roku, including the model number, with which you're experiencing the issue. See the Forum Rules for other suggestions on helpful information to provide.

One other thing: you said the remote wouldn't sync. Normally, for devices that use WiFi Direct remotes (IR remotes don't sync), you should not have to sync it beyond the initial setup of the Roku device. So, if you've been having to sync the remote, state that. Otherwise, it might be helpful to explain what caused you to need to sync it (beyond the initial setup) anyway.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
chasedean
Visitor

C43865093143 is the only number on device. No idea what type. Just a little rectangle box. Says roku. Roku remote would not work when we plugged it into tv. So I reset the box manually. It went to language screen. Let's get started so after that came up I hit the sync in battery compartment. Light blinks green but it never syncs. Cannot get set started without remote
0 Kudos
DBDukes

"chasedean" wrote:
C43865093143 is the only number on device.  No idea what type.  Just a little rectangle box.  Says roku.  Roku remote would not work when we plugged it into tv.  So I reset the box manually. It went to language screen. Let's get started so after that came up I hit the sync in battery compartment.  Light blinks green but it never syncs.  Cannot get set started without remote

Okay, we've ruled out a Stick.

And you're saying the words "Model No." don't appear on the box? Not on the bottom of the box, for instance? Because Roku usually puts the model number on the device itself.

Apart from that, the fact that you're seeing a green light indicates the remote's batteries are working. New batteries might still help.

Since it's not a Stick, an IR remote will work on that box. If you have a universal remote lying around anywhere, or want to spend $5 or so on a cheap universal remote from Family Dollar, Walmart, or some other place (as long as it's compatible with Roku), you could use it to set it up.

I'm curious. How did you get the device? I don't need details, of course, but "found in a drawer", "bought from a store", or some history on the device might help.

If it's a current device, and you're in the U.S. -- you didn't put your location on your profile -- then it's either a Roku Express, Express+, Premiere, Premiere+, or Ultra. If it's an older device, it could be one of any number of models. So, history might help.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

chasedean
Visitor

I'm not sure. We can try a universal remote later. But just done see why it won't pair
0 Kudos
DBDukes

"chasedean" wrote:
I'm not sure.  We can try a universal remote later. But just done see why it won't pair

Could be there's a problem with the wireless on the Roku. Could be a problem with the remote. That's what troubleshooting is hoping to determine.

As for your "I'm not sure" I can't tell what that's referring to. As my first question is a simple yes or no which you should be able to answer by looking, as you did to get the serial number, I'm assuming it's not that. As for the history, I'm unsure how you can be unsure about your history with the box. So, I'm not getting a good feeling about your answers.

I'm willing to help. I'm not willing to pull teeth. If you won't answer questions, fine. Someone else will come along that will put up with that.

DBDukes

RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

@chasedean Thanks for the note. If you are still running into issues with your remote, try looking here for help with models that use an IR remote: 

https://support.roku.com/article/360004 ... ed-remote-

Typically, replacing the batteries and/or restarting the device should help clear up these types of issues. You'll also want to make sure your remote has a clear line of sight to your Roku device, if it uses an IR remote. (As a side note, if you are trying to use a different Roku remote that wasn't originally sold with your device, it may not be compatible depending on the models of device and remote.) 

Please feel free to PM me directly if you need more help from there! 

Thanks,
Tanner
0 Kudos
Trina_mack
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku stuck on set up language screen and remote won't work

I have 2 remote stick one is working perfectly fine. The other one stuck on let's get started screen to choose language and im not able to press english with the remote. I have pressed reset plus unplug from the wall got new batteries for the remote and when I try paring the remote I see green light plus on the tv it show that the battery life is in green. I also pressed home button 5 times up button 1 fast forward and rewind twice and still nothing. Please help I even download the remote on my phone and it only showing the other roku stick I have. Model is 3810x the sn C137AA336383. Please help

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku stuck on set up language screen and remote won't work

@Trina_mack 

Thanks for the inquiry.

It seems like your remote isn't pairing to the Roku streaming stick. 

For information on how to pair your remote to your device visit our Support page here: How do I set up my Roku® enhanced "point-anywhere" remote?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Robgus1

I had the same problem with 2 TCL Roku TVs 65R625 and 55R625 recently. The screen is stuck in the Let's Get Started Language screen and will not advanced. The lights on the remote blink green and the remote will turn the TV Off and On but will not do anything else. I was with TCL Tech Support for almost 2 hours and they were not able to walk me thru. I finally returned both TVs and purchased a Samsung. Until this tread I thought I was the only one in the world with that problem as all setup videos assume that the remote steps right thru setup. 

0 Kudos